Microsoft just held their Mystery event, which was only revealed late last week to journalists (and in fact they were only given the location early this morning). They just unveiled a brand new product and it is the Microsoft "Surface" which is a new Microsoft branded Windows 8 tablet. Here's a full spec list:
- 9.3mm Thin
- Edges beveled at 22 degrees
- Full USB 2.0
- VaporMG (specialty designed - made with a unique process where the metal is molten) magnesium case
- 1.5 lbs (675 grams)
- Wide-Screen 10.6-Inch Display (likely 16:9)
- Built-in Stand & Cover with a full multi-touch keyboard - Touch cover has an accelerometer built in, so it knows when its folded back and it will deactivate the keyboard.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- "Comes with Office"
- Version for Windows 8 Pro with Core i5 Ivy Bridge processor and W8 Surface
- Version for Windows RT and NVIDIA ARM Processor
- Surface has two digitizers, one for touch, one for digital ink
- 600 dpi Display
- Multiple Versions with Multiple Price Points and some include Student edition of Microsoft Office Installed
- Multiple colors for the covers
- Displayport supported - Five times faster than USB 2
Suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC. OEMs will have cost and feature parity on Windows 8 and Windows RT.
It looks like Microsoft is taking things to a whole new level with tablets!
Source: CNET Live Blog