What's new

Music on MicroSD card plays with breaks

jerr39

Music files (mp3's) stored on MicroSD cards do not play smoothly on my SP3 i7. The music pauses momentarily every 15 sec or so when it is played directly from the card plugged into the computer. The same files play fine when the card is read through an external USB card reader or when the file is copied directly to the main flash memory.

This suggests the read speed of microSD interface is not keeping up with the music.

Anyone else seeing this?

ctitanic

Welcome aboard!
I have more than 6000 songs in my microSD card and I don't have any problems.

Have you tried with a different card?

ctitanic

Spoke to soon. I'm having the same issue now. I tried playing from VLC in desktop mode and it's 0k. But when I use Music or any other Metro program it fails. Tried Winamp and it works fine so far. Weird.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Could your check this setting:
Capture.JPG

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be curious if you copy one or more large files to/from the SDcard what the transfer rate looks like in the monitor. is it consistent or dropping very low at times.

buffering in sound programs could mask the effects of inconsistent data transfer. Or there may be a problem elsewhere in the stack but if you get inconsistent data transfer that's likely an issue.

ctitanic

I'd be curious if you copy one or more large files to/from the SDcard what the transfer rate looks like in the monitor. is it consistent or dropping very low at times.

buffering in sound programs could mask the effects of inconsistent data transfer. Or there may be a problem elsewhere in the stack but if you get inconsistent data transfer that's likely an issue.
The point is that the configuration that I asked to change was on Quick Removal. I remember from my Surface 2 that it should have been on Better Performance. I changed yesterday and the issue disappear.

The reading speed is enough for Music and video playing.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

ctitanic

I tried that setting, but it did not help. I did verify there are no drops when the music is played using the VLC desktop player - only with the Metro music player.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling Music. After changing that parameter it worked for me.

mohcho

I'm playing music off my card using Windows Music without any issue.

What make/model/speed of cards are you using?

I'm using a 64GB G.Skill SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 card. I can play music and HD video off of it without any lags or blips.

I just checked and I have the removal policy set to quick removal as well.

OP
J

jerr39

I'm playing music off my card using Windows Music without any issue.

What make/model/speed of cards are you using?

I'm using a 64GB G.Skill SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 card. I can play music and HD video off of it without any lags or blips.

I just checked and I have the removal policy set to quick removal as well.

OP
J

jerr39

I have reinstalled Music App several times and also switched back and forth between "Better Performance" and "Quick removal" for the SDXC card but continue to have problems when playing files from the card using the Music app. Sound drop outs start between 30s to 2 min after I start a selection. Rebooting seems to vary the start point.

I am using a SanDisk Extreme 65GB microSDXC Class 10 card, but also have seen the same problems when I use a slower 16GB SanDisk microSDXC card.

ctitanic

Have You tried to uninstall and reinstall the SD driver? Right new I'm playing mp3 using Music while I'm writing this post and I'm almost ending the second songs without any problems.