What's new

Need a new phone and wondering which is best -- other than Apple

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going from inexpensive/free to Verizon is likely a significant change in cost. look at and compare coverage maps as well before you decide. Personally I switched to a pay as I go plan since I often don't make that many calls its cheaper overall. it all depends on how you use it... especially with respect to the data plan. set it up with you home WiFi so it uses that when your at home.

Last edited:

daniielrp

Thanks for the evaluations and summations. Very good and nice and clear and understandable and no fanboi garbage on either side.

I had thought a Windows phone would probably be best because it should integrate with my home network and PC " perfectly " since they all have the same OS.

You say you find the 930 hard to use one handed --- is that because the phone is so much bigger or do you have small hands? Just wondering because I have rather large hands.

But a very good summation --- thank you very much.
For me it is just small hands, if you have bigger hands this shouldn't be a problem.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I don't make many calls either. That's why I haven't bought a " smart phone " before now.

But I see so many things being done with them such as paying your tab at checkout counters / restaurants by waving your phone and I know the trend isn't going to stop.

Phones today are everyone's camera and video camera and voice recorder and bill payer and ebook reader and game machine ( tiny games ).

They are doing so much more than phone calls that the extra expense might be worth it.

I < can > use a smart phone on the I-wireless carrier I believe but it seems a rinky dink outfit.

Which carrier do you use?

Going from inexpensive/free to Verizon is likely a significant change in cost. look at and compare coverage maps as well before you decide. Personally I switched to a pay as I go plan since I often don't make that many calls its cheaper overall. it all depends on how you use it... especially with respect to the data plan. set it up with you home WiFi so it uses that when your at home.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Anyone have experience with the Lumia 635?

My owner was in T-Mobile yesterday and I went in to drag her out and she was looking at the LG G3 I believe. They were telling her they could give her that with no contract for $99 and I saw they had the Lumia 635 so I'm considering both of those.

I tend towards Windows phone for compatability but really, don't all apps these days put out files in Windows formats ... except for the fruity phones and maybe they do too.

I want a cell phone to be able to pay the check by waving the phone and checkout from stores the same way as I see people doing that. Dunno if Windows have the apps for that or not but it is probably up to your bank I would imagine.

Plus better sound and better camera.