What's new

News360 - Excellent News Reader

mitchellvii

Check it out in the Store.

Free
Fast
Good Looking
Integrates Very Smoothly With IE 10

My favorite Windows 8 Newsreader by far.

andrew

I also prefer Bento - it is much smoother than News360 (most notable on the Surface RT). Although, both of them tend to hang/freeze while loading the HTML from the original web page.

Personally, I think Discourse is the best of all of the readers. It has a really novel UI (try it!). It had been included in the Build release of Win8 but then disappeared in subsequent releases... only to return as a paid app with the RTM release. The updated (paid) version is really phenomenal.

-andrew

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Yes news 360 is nice but I prefer news bento

Yes, News Bento is nice. I always find it annoying though when 95% of the default "News" streams they subscribe to are the most left-leaning batwing rags in America. I mean MSNBC and Huntington Post? Please. If I want "news" I don't read those.

Nevertheless the interface is quite nice.

Question: When I want to add my own streams, how to I categorize them? Seems like they just have "News", "Tech" and "Others" on the homepage. Don't see where I can organize things.

Last edited:

tonyz3

Yes, News Bento is nice. I always find it annoying though when 95% of the default "News" streams they subscribe to are the most left-leaning batwing rags in America.Nevertheless the interface is quite nice. AGREED

Question: When I want to add my own streams, how to I categorize them? Seems like they just have "News", "Tech" and "Others" on the homepage. Don't see where I can organize things.
Right click on the Title....

tonyz3

you do it like win 8 start screen. long hold a tile and move it until you make it -its own column than rt click to rename it.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

you do it like win 8 start screen. long hold a tile and move it until you make it -its own column than rt click to rename it.

Oh gotcha, thanks. I have to keep reminding myself that Modern UI is "intuitive" because that never would have occurred to me, lol.

How do I move entire sections, in other words, how do arrange my headings?

Last edited:

tonyz3

just rt click each tile in the column you want to move until they all have checks next to them than move the whole bunch of them......

ChiTom

Free - check
Good looking - check
Can enter the RSS feeds I want to follow = keep getting message "not found" (e.g., Nikon Rumors, Fuji Rumors, Photography Life, etc.)

What good is good user interface if you can't get the feeds you want?

Sin

I also prefer Bento - it is much smoother than News360 (most notable on the Surface RT). Although, both of them tend to hang/freeze while loading the HTML from the original web page.

Personally, I think Discourse is the best of all of the readers. It has a really novel UI (try it!). It had been included in the Build release of Win8 but then disappeared in subsequent releases... only to return as a paid app with the RTM release. The updated (paid) version is really phenomenal.

-andrew
Has Discourse been improved. I bought when it first came out and quickly determined that it was terrible. I found it painful to read though a large feed. No easy way to switch from one article to the next. It also didn't update Google Reader, which description implied, but all it did was import your Google Reader feeds. Not update your read status or stared articles. I keep going back to NextGen Reader, which I use on my phone and on my Surface. Both keep Google Reader updated so I can switch back an forth between devices and not re-read articles that I have already read. Might have to give Discourse another try.