What's new

Next gen Surface in testing !!!

mitchellvii

Hmm...interesting all this coming from a Pro owner. With all that hate, what would you recommend for SP lookers?

Lol, one man's "hate" is another man's objective analysis.

The Surface Pro II must be dramatically better than the Surface Pro I or it will fail just as badly as the Surface Pro I. Why wouldn't it? The problem with the Surface Pro I was the form factor. It is a tablet that can be an ultrabook. Everyone else is doing ultrabooks that can be a tablet. Why is that? Does MS have some magical vision that no one actually in the business of making computers has?

But how can MS make the SP II dramatically better and keep the cost lower than more full-featured hybrids? They can't. All they can do is offer a refresh on a device which has already failed badly in the marketplace. That's like putting a fresh coat of paint on the Edsel. Hopefully MS isn't that stupid.

Surface II will succeed (partly because MS will have no competition and at the right price, there is a niche for that tablet). Surface Pro II will bomb.

Last edited:

Lolvo

As I was explaining to some curious friends the other day, I have a tablet that doubles as a laptop, not a laptop that doubles as a tablet - and that's precisely what I was looking for. I have an i5 laptop with an 18" screen that weighs more than a splurging elephant, as well as a top-of-the-line smartphone, and was missing the gap in-between; the Surface has filled that gap so far, albeit with a few drawbacks.

However, the more I use my tablet, the less I see myself using my laptop....which brings me to the thought of a laptop replacement. I haven't owned a desktop in years, and never really had the need for a stationary computing center; using my Surface RT on a day-to-day basis has shown me that even this RT model can keep up with my everyday computing needs. But that brings me to a paradox...I adore the RT for it's light weight, battery life, and ease of use - yet also find myself bored with it because all I can do (that is fresh) is browse the internet and keep up with social media...but using it every day makes me think the Pro would be better suited for how I'm using my tablet; then again, sacrificing weight, battery life, and comfort doesn't seem like a fair trade to me, when the perks of the RT are sacrificed just for the computing power.

I will admit I have not done much research on alternative options for the market I am in, but from where I'm sitting, a Surface Pro II would float my boat AND put an outboard on it if the right changes were made. Since I've had my RT, I've found myself contemplating the Pro upgrade, ditching the laptop, and replacing it with a desktop. The current Pro lineup, while technologically stunning, can't fit the bill for long-day use that I need from a tablet - at least without user modification. I will be using my RT for eTextbooks in the upcoming semester, and need my tablet to have a strong battery life throughout the day, while performing the necessary actions.

I am excited to see the SPII, but it HAS HAS HAS[well] to be at the right price point. As a college student, getting my RT with BOTH covers, screen protector, skin, SD card, and case for <$500 was a deal too good to pass up. The improvements to usability in the SPII will have to be significant in order for me to consider the switch. I don't have thousands to blow, and I will not settle for a device that sacrifices longevity for performance, when there are other options on the market (albeit laptops that are tablets, not the other way around) that fulfill those prerequisites at a similar, or lower, price point.

Nonetheless, I love my RT even with it's restrictions, and am excited to see what the next generation brings.

demandarin

I think I remember who Mitchvelli is now. If this the same person, he use to bash the galaxy note 10.1 on xda forums..lol he was never satisfied and always talking about that Samsung ativ or whatever..lol

Seems like this forum is like xda. There will always be those who bash the device no matter how good it is. Or always speaking of some future better option. I'd easily get a sp2 down the road of one dropped next year. Of course only of specs and battery life dramatically improved. I'm truly loving this surface pro though. A nice fresh departure/adventure away from android.

He makes some good points but I don't see device as a failure. Its working great for me so far and I'm more than impressed on its power and capabilities.

Bashing here is nothing though. You should've been with me on xda when Asus Transformer Prime first released. First tablet with tegra3. Now that was fun..lmao

machistmo

So far everything I have read online about Surface Pro 2 has been rumor and speculation. While the info on Surface II has been solid.

Amazing how if thousands of MS employees are actually testing the SP 2 that there is NO solid news on it.

Surface Pro 2 (if there is one) will fail as badly as Surface Pro 1 because it is a "device in the middle". It is better than just a consumption tablet but not good enough for a pure business hybrid. Hybrid ultrabooks have a HUGE advantage over the Surface Pro form factor. They can put in a bigger battery, a backlit keyboard, more ports and a more stable platform for use as a laptop. Most business people will not be willing to "make sacrifices" to save a few hundred bucks when losing one deal could cost them thousands.

I can get a Sony Duo at Bestbuy for $1399. WHY would I buy an SP II with smaller screen, fewer ports and no backlit keyboard for just $200 less and WHY would I sacrifice all that for a few hundred less? Remember, when you bought your Surface Pro hybrids were heavy, thick and offered no pen. Now they are light, thin and offer a pen.

The Surface Pro II's ONLY hope for success is at a steep discount to ultrabook hybrids. That being said they will have to offer fewer features or risk losing money on every unit. If they cut features to sell it cheaper they will lose their business audience. Who exactly will buy the Surface Pro 2? Remember YOU like the Surface Pro because you own it, but there is no denying it has been a complete sales failure for the reasons I just stated.

MS should go all-in on the Surface II but abandon the Surface Pro II. As a device it makes no sense. Again, no one else is imitating the Surface Pro form factor. No one. That tells you a lot.

Well 30k(figure one of our MS architects tossed out yesterday) Employees engaged in testing the new Surface models is not speculation. The new devices are and have been in testing by MS employees for quite some time now. How many overall devices MS will release this go-around remains to be seen. It seems that just about everyone is leaving the RT space, but that in itself is not reason to just jump up and say - MS must not be making a SP2. Either way it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months and indeed in the future of tablets as a whole. Right now Apple and Android seem to have it all locked up. Making a full blown Windows tablets that pleases everyone is an impossibility, but making one that sells enough to make it worth making doesn't seem to me to be an impossible task. I am just not sure that Microsoft will be the company that eventually makes that device.

OP
Spaniard

Spaniard

I think I remember who Mitchvelli is now. If this the same person, he use to bash the galaxy note 10.1 on xda forums..lol he was never satisfied and always talking about that Samsung ativ or whatever..lol

Seems like this forum is like xda. There will always be those who bash the device no matter how good it is. Or always speaking of some future better option. I'd easily get a sp2 down the road of one dropped next year. Of course only of specs and battery life dramatically improved. I'm truly loving this surface pro though. A nice fresh departure/adventure away from android.

He makes some good points but I don't see device as a failure. Its working great for me so far and I'm more than impressed on its power and capabilities.

Bashing here is nothing though. You should've been with me on xda when Asus Transformer Prime first released. First tablet with tegra3. Now that was fun..lmao

Nobody can hide from Google:

Why I HATED the Surface Pro (just in case you were tempted) ... - xda-developers

bladeguy5

im loving mine so far and coming from a ultra book convertible Toshiba u925T the surface fits my needs just perfect.

GoHack

Having tried the RT, it wasn't really that bad, when you consider the hardware you were using. It was the price vs. performance that killed it. That, and the fact that it, a Tegra3 was competing against Intel Atom, Celeron, and i5 powered products, all priced fairly close to each other, made no sense.

You know, when you look at what we are running now-a-days on our top of the line systems, very little of it is being used to it's full potential. With that being said, the same can be said of the Tegra3 on the RT.

Look at what M$ has been doing w/their Xbox all these years, w/it's hardware limitations. Use that same talent on the RT, and you could have quit a product.

Solution, sell the RT as a low end machine, and open it up, it could still have a chance, especially for college students on a limited budget, or even high school. Put some Xbox talent on it in order to show it's full potential.

If the hackers can get regular Window Applications to run on it, then why can't M$?

I still remember when Epic Games first released their Epic Citadel Sample for the iPAD 1. They got that thing up and running w/in some two or three weeks using the Unreal Engine 3, on less than what, 256 mb of memory. What people can do when they want to, even w/hardware limitations.

Last edited:
OP
Spaniard

Spaniard

I'll wait for Surface Pro 3.

Updated: Surface Pro 2 and RT 2 may arrive alongside Microsoft Windows 8.1 free update in October

RcaiTuh.gif