What's new

Office for Windows 10 FREE on W10 Phones & small Tablets

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft officials revealed yesterday, the Office for Windows 10 suite will be preinstalled for free on Windows Phones and small (under eight-inch) tablets running Windows 10.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...o-be-free-on-windows-10-phones-small-tablets/

On January 22, Microsoft posted a blog offering a closer look at the new touch-first Office apps -- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook and Calendar -- that are in the works. Microsoft is calling this touch-first suite "Office for Windows 10."

As of today, Microsoft also christened the desktop version of its Office suite as "Office 2016." (Until today, that suite was known only by its codename, "Office 16.")

The desktop version is going to be more fully featured, most likely include additional Office apps as part of that suite, and work on the desktop in Windows 10.

goodintentions

After looking at the screenshots of the touch-first office apps, I have one complaint.

The virtual keyboard takes up a little over half of the bottom screen. The touch-first office apps menus take up the top 1/3 of the screen. Do you see where I'm going with this? When the user wants to edit anything, he will have just a little horizontal strip of text space to work with. This causes a sense of claustrophobia.

I have a word processor app in the store. When I first published it, all the menus were on top also like the traditional way. But it always felt too claustrophobic, so I moved the menus to the left side.

I was hoping MS did a little more research into this and not have the menus take over so much precious screen real estates, especially in smaller tablets.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Small tablets aren't really for work anyway, by definition they are companion devices which is a euphemism for non-work, consumption.

goodintentions

Small tablets aren't really for work anyway, by definition they are companion devices which is a euphemism for non-work, consumption.

I understand that. Forget small tablets.

Try to imagine doing some lite editing of a document on your surface pro 3 without the keyboard. A little over the bottom half of the screen is taken up by the virtual keyboard. The top 1/3 of the screen is taken up by the top menus. Take your hands and cover up those areas. What you are left with is a small rectangle of texts to work with.

I don't know about you, but this gave me a very uncomfortable feeling when I try to edit a document.