What's new

Play movies and videos on surface rt or surface pro

PavtubeVideo

Windows Surface tablets are reported to be able to play HD video continuously for about 8 to 13 hours at screen brightnesses of 200 nits. However, Windows RT does not include Windows Media Player. And many popular video formats are not supported by the Windows RT player. For better enjoying movies and footage on Windows RT tablet, it’s necessary to get some additional video processing tools like this one –Blu-ray Video Converter ultimate, which converts all kinds of videos into Window RT tablet supported media. You can drag MKV, AVI, MTS, M2TS, TiVo, MPG, WMV, MOV, VOB, TS, DVR and many other videos to the software and easily convert them to desired format.

How to convert incompatible videos to Surface RT/Pro tablet
If your video does not play on Surface tablet, it could be in unsupported format or very big file size. The Blu-ray video converter ultimate (Mac version: iMedia converter for Mac 20% off Now)is also a good tool for converting and compressing HD videos. Follow the steps below for Windows 8 video conversion.

1. Run the Surface video converter. Drag and drop source videos to the program.

video-converter-ultimate-steps.png

2. When videos are loaded successfully, press on the Format bar and choose WMV or MP4 format to convert videos into. There's a customized preset for Microsft Surface RT/Pro tablet, which also works on other Windows 8 tablet. Just follow "Windows > Microsoft Surface Windows RT H.264 Video (*.mp4)" to use it.

microsoft-surface-rt-preset.jpg

3. To further compress HD MKV/AVI/MTS/M2TS videos, you may press “Settings” and change the audio/video parameters. The task info shows estimated sizes of each file. Generally the lower bitrate you use, the smaller the output video is, and the less space it takes.

4. Press the big Convert button to convert/compress HD videos to Windows 8 tab supported video.
After conversion you just connect the Windows 8 tablet to PC and copy videos to the slab. Here's a guide showing how to transfer videos to Windows 8 tablet.

Like any other slabs, Windows RT tablets do not have Blu-ray/DVD drive. With the Blu-ray Video Converter, you can rip Blu-ray/DVD to Windows RT compatible videos on PC and then transfer the converted movies to Windows RT/Pro tablet for watching.

OP
P

PavtubeVideo

Remove DRM from iTunes M4V and Sync iTunes library to Surface RT and Pro

This article will show you how to get music, movies or TV-shows purchased from iTunes to Microsoft Surface RT for smoothly playing.

Q: I just bought a new Surface tablet and I am wondering if I could play music files I purchased on iTunes on my Surface RT? I have searched around the internet but I haven't got a specific answer to this question. Besides, the movies and TV-shows I have purchased on iTunes will be playable on my Surface RT?

A: Before answering your question, keep in mind that the Windows RT based Surface tablet can not play any iTunes purchases with Apple Digital Rights Management (FairPlay DRM). However, all iTunes songs (at least in the US) will be DRM-free in steps since April 7, 2009. From my experience, if the song isn't copy protected it should play. For the little copyrighted iTunes songs, in .m4p format, you can upgrade these songs to DRM-free files for US$0.30/song or use DRM removal software to strip DRM from them free of charge.

For iTunes videos, if they are video podcasts from iTunes, you can play them on your Surface RT without any problem. But if they are Movies, TV-shows or Music videos which you purchased directly through iTunes store, they are all with DRM protection. DRM can not stop you transferring iTunes video purchases to Surface RT, but the videos will say "this file is not supported" or "this video can't be played" when you play these iTunes movies/TV shows on the Surface RT tablet.

sync-itunes-with-surface-rt.jpg

In order to play iTunes video files on Microsoft Surface RT, you have to remove DRM from iTunes movies and convert iTunes M4V files to Surface RT compatible video formats(MP4 with H.264 video codec is highly recommended). To get the work done, a DRM Removal software is needed. If you're looking for ease-to-use, just check out Pavtube's ChewTune, which is an intuitive and stable DRM converter to help you remove DRM protection from iTunes, Amazon, Zune, BBC iPlayer, Napster, Blockbuster, etc. and convert videos to all popular video formats like MP4, MOV, MKV, WMV, AVI, FLV, etc. for playing and sharing anywhere you like. Meanwhile the playback of the converted videos is as decent as possible as original. The equivalent Mac version is the ChewTune Mac, which can convert and transfer iTunes movies to Surface RT on Mac OS X. Free download the right version and enjoy your iTunes M4V movies on Microsoft Surface RT without any hassle!

Download iTunes to Surface RT Converter:

Convert, Transfer and Play iTunes movies on Surface RT

The quick start guide below uses ChewTune Windows screenshots. The way to encoding iTunes M4V to Surface on Mac is almost the same. Just make sure you get the right version according to your computer operating system.

Step 1: Add iTunes movies to the software. Launch the DRM converter and click "Add Video" "Add Folder" to load the iTunes video files to the program for converting. You can also simply drag and drop media files to the source pane to add. Batch conversion is supported so that you can add multiple files.

wmv-drm-removal.jpg

Step 2: Choose the output video format and output folder. Click "Format" bar and move mouse to "Windows" column, you can easily find the profile of "Microsoft Surface Windows RT H.264 Video (*.mp4)". The output videos could fit on Surface RT or Pro perfectly.

surface-rt-profile.jpg

If you like, you can click "Settings" to change the video encoder, resolution, frame rate, etc. as you wish. For watching videos on the Windows RT based Surface Tablet, 720p with 1500~2500kbps is just all right. I found that bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.

Step 3: After above steps, just click "Convert" to start removing iTunes DRM protection and converting iTunes M4V to Microsoft Surface RT MP4 videos.

Once the process completes, download and transfer the DRM-free iTunes videos to your Surface RT Tablet via USB cable. Then you are free to enjoy and watch iTunes movies on Microsoft Surface RT as you like.

And yes, this workaround works with Windows 8 as well, of course. Click here to get known the basic tips for watching movies on Microsoft Surface RT.

Related Articles:
How to put/move DVD movie to Microsoft Surface RT
Copy Blu-ray ISO image file to Microsoft Surface RT
Sync Digital Copy movies to Microsoft Surface RT
Watch Flash FLV/F4V Videos on Microsoft Surface RT Tablet
Surface RT Review: Convert 1080p/720p Videos to Surface RT & Pro
How to transfer Tivo files to Microsoft Surface RT
6 Essential Apps for New Windows Surface RT and Pro Owners

To save your money, you can view Pavtube special offer column:

ByteCopy($42) + Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate($65) = Only $80, Save $27
ByteCopy for Mac($42) + iMedia Converter for Mac($65) = Only $80, Save $27
ChewTune ($29) + Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate($65) = Only $75, Save $19