What's new

Possible SD card issues?

aj84

Hi all,

New on here though I've been reading a fair few threads on and off.

I bought a SP4 i7/256/16GB last week directly from Microsoft online but may possibly be having issues with the SD card.
Rest of the machine is perfect so far

I put my 200GB microSD that I had been using in a Dell tablet/convertible (can't for the life of me remember the model). Card itself is fine - I know that and it has been used on and off + scanned.

Pop it into the SP4 - nothing at all. No sounds to detect new hardware, no unknowns in device manager, nothing in disk management.
So I restored the entire SP4 back to factory and some 5 hours later when it complete, tried again, nothing.

Popped in a 8GB cheapy thing I had sitting around and voila, reads straight away.
Rang Microsoft and they state 128GB is max supported so knowing I had a couple of new 64GB Samsung SD cards for my dashcam, I opened one up, sent it through H2testw and then popped it into the SP4 once happy with it. Again, it reads on several other machines fine but in the SP4, nothing at all.

Rebooted - still nothing. Popped it out and back in, and it reads fine currently finishing the verifying side of the scan in H2testw.

So do I have a potential faulty sd card reader?
The 200GB I have yet to have it read, the cheaper 8GB unbranded card read straight away, the 64GB Samsung only read on the second attempt of ejecting/reinserting.

Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks
AJ

OP
A

aj84

I don't think the two issues are the same
In my case, the card refuses to even register - I will however say it that the issue with the 64gb might have been a one off - the format/scan went through fine and I then tried another identical 64GB card which read first time, and read/scan fine

So now I guess the surface is fine apart from the fact it will not read a 200GB sandisk sd card

OP
A

aj84

Right, I've purchased a couple of integral micro SD cards, so lets see how they are when I get them on Monday. They seem to be getting solid reviews and I have to say, the Sandisc 200GB and the samsung EVO 64GBs have not left me with any faith in the brands at the moment

mike_msf

Right, I've purchased a couple of integral micro SD cards, so lets see how they are when I get them on Monday. They seem to be getting solid reviews and I have to say, the Sandisc 200GB and the samsung EVO 64GBs have not left me with any faith in the brands at the moment

What was wrong with Sandisk 200GB? I got one myself and I wonder if it's safe to keep data there.

OP
A

aj84

Actually it was an unfair comment to make on the 200GB. The 200gb DOES work in the Dell venue I have but it does not detect on my Surface Pro 4 which is why I dismissed it. But... in actual fact, I'm sure it's fine - I've just had a hell of a time with Sandisk 32 and 64gb cards failing quite early on in their lives having been used in dashcams this year. In the last 2 and a bit months (Since the new year), i've gone through 2x 64gb and 3x 32gb's yet the one provided - a thinkware branded 32gb seems to go on forever
All were checked with above tool and were deemed as genuine but after 3-4 weeks, all the above went a bit...corrupt

dcoplien

Actually it was an unfair comment to make on the 200GB. The 200gb DOES work in the Dell venue I have but it does not detect on my Surface Pro 4 which is why I dismissed it. But... in actual fact, I'm sure it's fine - I've just had a hell of a time with Sandisk 32 and 64gb cards failing quite early on in their lives having been used in dashcams this year. In the last 2 and a bit months (Since the new year), i've gone through 2x 64gb and 3x 32gb's yet the one provided - a thinkware branded 32gb seems to go on forever
All were checked with above tool and were deemed as genuine but after 3-4 weeks, all the above went a bit...corrupt
Would your dashcam be left in the car for extended periods with sun coming in the window?

OP
A

aj84

dcoplien - possibly although current UK weather is abysmal and it's mainly been raining. However remember the same period of time on the thinkware SD card seems fine. I got an integral one today for it so lets see how that goes.

In other news, I got the 128GB this morning and... no go.
It was only until I pushed the card hard in that I heard a slight tick and suddenly it read it. Tried the 200GB and that read too!
All cards have been put through h2w testing tool and have passed so I'm a happy chappie !

Thanks for all the help/advice/ideas!

dcoplien

dcoplien - possibly although current UK weather is abysmal and it's mainly been raining. However remember the same period of time on the thinkware SD card seems fine. I got an integral one today for it so lets see how that goes.

In other news, I got the 128GB this morning and... no go.
It was only until I pushed the card hard in that I heard a slight tick and suddenly it read it. Tried the 200GB and that read too!
All cards have been put through h2w testing tool and have passed so I'm a happy chappie !

Thanks for all the help/advice/ideas!
Glad you got it working.