What's new

PSA- Prey. If you don't have it, get it. Recover your stolen device.

malberttoo

Someone just posted a thread asking how they can recover their stolen Surface Pro. No hope for this brother, probably.

So it just prompted me to throw this out there, if you aren't running any kind of theft/recovery software on your Surface, then take 5 minutes right now and save yourself a bunch of sorrow and heartache later! Go, right now, to Open source anti-theft solution for laptops, phones & tablets ? Prey, set up a free account, and get up to 10 devices set up for free! Get your other laptops and netbooks set up as well.

Or, of you guys have another favorite tracking/recovery app, let's hear it!

Edit- I am in no way affiliated with these folks, just a content user for some years now.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Ignoring price --- what is the BEST recovery / tracking software / device?

Hire this guy to protect it and track it.

jack-bauer.jpg

Ruffles

Installed Prey and it's cool and all but I doubt it would really be of use. First, if you have a password on the device, the thief will not be able to sign in and configure it to a new wireless network where Prey could work. Second, even if they did and you see a location on the map, you can't just go knock on the door and say give me back my tablet. I don't know if the police could really do much either without a warrant. Finally, it did confirm my suspicion that the web cam can be enabled to take pictures without your knowledge.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Second, even if they did and you see a location on the map, you can't just go knock on the door and say give me back my tablet. I don't know if the police could really do much either without a warrant.

Oh yes you can.

The 59-year-old retiree is no thief and now has a sign posted on his front door reading in part, "No Lost Cell Phones." He even sleeps near the front door in order to answer it more quickly when angry people arrive, demanding their phones back anyway.

Read more: Wayne Dobson Is The Victim Of 'Find My iPhone' - Business Insider

OP
malberttoo

malberttoo

Installed Prey and it's cool and all but I doubt it would really be of use. First, if you have a password on the device, the thief will not be able to sign in and configure it to a new wireless network where Prey could work. Second, even if they did and you see a location on the map, you can't just go knock on the door and say give me back my tablet. I don't know if the police could really do much either without a warrant. Finally, it did confirm my suspicion that the web cam can be enabled to take pictures without your knowledge.

LoJack for Laptops is one of the most popular paid apps in this category, and you better believe there are tons of stories online about the cops getting involved when you can demonstrate that it is your device, it has been stolen, and you can take them right to it. Have you never seen the stories of these idiots?

Recovered laptop ? Prey

How I Got My Stolen Laptop Back Within 24 Hours Using Prey

Stolen laptop recovered thanks to Prey and swarm of Twitter users - Neowin

Angel

I started using a laptop when my desktop (hence my life) got stolen. A laptop was portable and even though it weighed a ton I took it everywhere...if I wanted to go swimming it was left with family or in a hotel safe. Never again I thought. I bought a nook color and it was stolen from my bedroom by a visiting family member!!!! Now everything is either in my pocket (phone) or has an alarm that, without notice, sounds if there's the slightest movement you have to punch in a code when you first touch it or else; and boy is the alarm loud!!! Lol plus I have all the tracking apps and wiping services, one even locks my devices and makes them paper weights...

Angel

I should document it cause I really don't remember how/what all I did...lol it's a mix of apps, software, and stuff thrown together but it works did it for nook and transformer. I have the wiping thing also through another service with antivirus stuff called webroot, if one don't work the other will...webroot guarantees if the device is turned on and can be detected anywhere it will be wiped once you give the say so, if the steal it they better never turn it on lol

TeknoBlast

I've had Prey for about two years and forgot all about it. I logged into my account and it's still tracking my old laptop that I sold months ago. I refreshed that laptop several times while I had it and Prey still keeps track of it. Just added my Surface Pro.