What's new

Snapdragon 800 tablets, anyone?

quadtronix

Same here! For my use Windows RT is ideal. Anything that requires more heavy lifting or legacy apps I'd rather use my laptop for anyway. Full Windows on a 7" tablet just brings the cost up and would probably be very difficult to use in desktop mode... so why bother with it. Windows RT on the other hand could really shine on 7-8" slates. And Snapdragon 800 is supposed to be fast too. Like screaming fast. I hope they put that in a 7" tab for a reasonable price. Then I'll be all over it! I read some articles that said that Asus, HTC and Microsoft are all planning 7-8" tablets in the very near future so I'm really hoping that happens! The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. Plus I also read something about Nvidia backing Windows RT and that they may put Tegra 4 chips in some of these smaller slates. IDK.. What's supposed to be better Snapdragon 800 or Tegra 4? Either way, a small RT tab on one of those is going to be awesome IMO. Can't wait! Thanks for sharing this news... :)

OP
ArnoldC

ArnoldC

Ideally, I would want another device from Microsoft, but one from HTC would be nice too. I have HTC phones already, but the comapny is currently plagued with problems. Asus would be another option, a MemoPAD like Windows RT device will be good for me. I bought my girlfriend the Android version and the build is good.

pallentx

Will be nice to see how these stack up against the new Atom procs. I'm the same on RT. I don't need legacy apps on my portable tablet. I can remote desktop connect if I really find myself needing something I have on my desktop. When I have done it, however, the experience isn't ideal on a smaller screen. I cant imagine trying to use Outlook or Photoshop or SQL Server Management Studio on a 7 or 8" screen. The tweaks they made to Office for RT makes Office functional on the full-sized tablets, but I think for a 8" RT tablet, they are going to need to have "modern" versions of office apps ready to go. These are fun times - new GUI updates, new hardware constantly coming out...

pallentx

Ideally, I would want another device from Microsoft, but one from HTC would be nice too. I have HTC phones already, but the comapny is currently plagued with problems. Asus would be another option, a MemoPAD like Windows RT device will be good for me. I bought my girlfriend the Android version and the build is good.
I looked at the Asus VivoTab RT briefly. Nice-looking device. They can make nice hardware for sure. My wife has the HTC 8x - very nice phone. I would love to see HTC get it together and be a major player again.

OP
ArnoldC

ArnoldC

Personally, I don't really care if it's from Qualcomm or Nvidia, as long as it's not Intel.