What's new

SP3 i7 runs worse than SP2 i5

macmee

I ran GTA:SA on my SP2 with the i5 and 8GB of RAM. I have the SP3 i7 with 8GB of RAM and it runs horribly. I thought it was the resolution but even on a lower resolution and minimal graphics the game runs worse on the SP3 than the SP2.

Was there any point to me getting the i7?

mmoran27

Welcome to the world of MS where new technology is worse than old.

MS Bob
WinME
Vista
Windows 8

Surface pro 3 slower than 2.

Seriously though to make it thin there are compromises they made. They also cheated out on the pen tech this round and wifi as well. The Surface Pro 2 had a better pen also. Wifi is crappy on both. MS should have used atheros or Intel for wifi.

Last edited:

grumpy

I ran GTA:SA on my SP2 with the i5 and 8GB of RAM. I have the SP3 i7 with 8GB of RAM and it runs horribly. I thought it was the resolution but even on a lower resolution and minimal graphics the game runs worse on the SP3 than the SP2.
Silly rabbit... The SP3 is not for games...;)
Probably not..:(

InspectHerGadget

I just ran a WiFi test on the SP3 and compared it to the MBA 11. I have a wireless N Router and my internet speeds can be up to 115Mbps download.

My SP3 i7 gets about 50Mbps, while the MBA got 83Mbps, so the MBA is definitely a lot quicker on the WiFi.

I like the pen better on the SP2 although I'm getting used to the pen on the SP3.

The performance though is much much better on the SP3 over my SP2, web pages load in a fraction of the time.

olimjj

I just ran a WiFi test on the SP3 and compared it to the MBA 11. I have a wireless N Router and my internet speeds can be up to 115Mbps download.

My SP3 i7 gets about 50Mbps, while the MBA got 83Mbps, so the MBA is definitely a lot quicker on the WiFi.
I just ran a test on my SP2 256/8 and got 85.39 . Does that mean it is faster than your MBA?

InspectHerGadget

I just ran a test on my SP2 256/8 and got 85.39 . Does that mean it is faster than your MBA?
No, the MBA is more than 50% faster on the same wireless network.
The pen is also more to my liking and easier to write smoothly with on my SP2. I was just practicing with writing on both side by side.
Performance though, the i7 SP3 absolutely slays the i5 SP2 for peformance. It is way faster in MYOB as well as rendering web pages, the difference in performance is huge.
I really like my SP3 overall although it has a few flaws.

megatronium

No. Return it, be happy with your SP2 i5, and quit trolling this forum.

InspectHerGadget

I tested the wireless again...

SP2 45.49Mbps
SP3 43.31Mbps
MBA 11 70.60Mbps

I'm slightly disappointed that the mid 2013 i5 MBA 11 out did both SP machines with both the SP2 and SP3 neck and neck given variations in wireless speed.

These are figures from www.speedtest.net and are internet download speeds. I can get up to 115Mbps on my Telstra cable connection.