What's new

Steam VR

gman713

Can anyone tell me if the latest Steam VR update will work well with the 15 inch SB2? I currently have an Alienware R3 13 with the Oculus but find the set up kind of clunky due to the sensors. The mixed reality setup on the SB2 seems more streamlined which is appealing to me.

chekhonte

Mine comes Wednesday. I'll let you know but chances are slim that the frame rate won't be vomit inducing.

EDIT: I just realized that it doesn't come with any HDMI out and I probably won't get one for a while as this is primarily a drawing tablet for me. I'll see if I can find a usb c/hdmi dongle at work.

Last edited:
OP
G

gman713

I may try it tonight and will post results. I'm thinking about downloading Revive so I can access my Oculus games through MR.

OP
G

gman713

I tested MR and Steam VR. Both work great. The Oculus Rift appears not to be compatible with the Surface Book 2. I get this message after installing - "Oculus has encountered an error. Restart your computer or contact rift support." I tried connecting my actual Rift to the 3 available usb ports and 1 HDMI (via USB C) and everything gets recognized except HDMI. I think it has something to with how the software looks for the HDMI port because the same set up works perfectly with my Lenovo MR headset. I may contact Oculus for support but I'm sure they are going to say the SB2 isn't supported due to not having an integrated HDMI port.

OP
G

gman713

In case if anyone's interested, mixed reality works very well with Rift and Vive games through Steam. I tried Batman Arkam VR and Doom VFR using the Lenovo MR headset and they play very good. The loading time can be a little long but once you get in it's fun. It's strange when you look at the controllers since they are the Vive ones in the game.