What's new

Stop the Distraction - Block all tweaking with XTU

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft will be forced to block all tweaking and perhaps even running XTU. The Internet is ablaze with, its too hot, its throttling, Why is my CPU/GPU frequency xxx. etc. etc. Its a completely counterproductive distraction.

Try to run XTU on a MacBook Air it says platform not supported. End of story. The thing gets much hotter than a Surface, its fan noise measures over two times as many decibels and decibels is logarithmic not linear. Something that sounds twice as loud is only 10 decibels greater. Running the same test we measured 35db noise level on a Surface and 75db on an MBA.

Intel built these chips to have multiple limiting mechanisms so systems could be built with different heat dissipation profiles using the same part. Still they manufacture Haswell parts with different specs, they come in 11.5w, 15w, and various 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x 6x, and 8x watt packages. Generally processing power increases with the power in watts but the two are only loosely related. The 15w part outperforms the 11.5w part and it can be shown that a throttling 15w part outperforms an 11.5 w part.

Grousing about does a 15w part run at maximum speed is pointless in the context that it outperforms what the 11.5w part could do.

I submit that Microsoft should lockout reading all metrics and disable support for tuning utilities like XTU and operate as a blackbox. :)

Last edited:

ctitanic

Microsoft will be forced to block all tweaking and perhaps even running XTU. The Internet is ablaze with, its too hot, its throttling, Why is my CPU/GPU frequency xxx. etc. etc. Its a completely counterproductive distraction.

Try to run XTU on a MacBook Air it says platform not supported. End of story. The thing gets much hotter than a Surface, its fan noise measures over two times as many decibels and decibels is logarithmic not linear. Something that sounds twice as loud is only 10 decibels greater. Running the same test we measured 35db noise level on a Surface and 75db on an MBA.

Intel built these chips to have multiple limiting mechanisms so systems could be built with different heat dissipation profiles using the same part. Still they manufacture Haswell parts with different specs, they come in 11.5w, 15w, and various 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x 6x, and 8x watt packages. Generally processing power increases with the power in watts but the two are only loosely related. The 15w part outperforms the 11.5w part and it can be shown that a throttling 15w part outperforms an 11.5 w part.

Grousing about does a 15w part run a maximum speed is pointless in the context that it outperforms what the 11.5w part could do.

I submit that Microsoft should lockout reading all metrics and disable support for tuning utilities like XTU and operate as a blackbox. :)
Yes, it should fully follow the Apple formula.

Ozozuz

Well, i used XTU just to undervolt my cpu and gpu, then i usually kill the process.
How can this be counterproductive?

Philo

Why block XTU?

I use it to undervolt and it does a pretty good job for heat wise anyways. -90mV Core, -125mV Cache and -80mV GPU...

leeshor

I'm inclined to agree but it won't fly with users. This discussion reminds me of the number of people who insist on rooting their phones and tablets, then start making adjustments and when things go wrong, like bricking their devices, they don't/won't accept any blame or responsibility.

The last thing I want to hear is that Microsoft just became Apple. ;)

phositadc

Well, i used XTU just to undervolt my cpu and gpu, then i usually kill the process.
How can this be counterproductive?

Do the undervolt settings stick when you kill the XTU app and process? Or does that cause the voltage settings to revert to default?

I like the idea of undervolting but I notice that the XTU app and service consumed a consistent 1-2% CPU usage, so I stopped running them.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm inclined to agree but it won't fly with users. This discussion reminds me of the number of people who insist on rooting their phones and tablets, then start making adjustments and when things go wrong, like bricking their devices, they don't/won't accept any blame or responsibility.

The last thing I want to hear is that Microsoft just became Apple. ;)
I certainly wasn't suggesting they should do it because Apple did but at this rate all the second guessing opinion noise from the galleries will become overwhelming and its pointless.

Microsoft should just make 2-3 power profiles with one or two step options within each profile, keep the details abstract, and call it a day. Ideally they would do this tuning before a product is released not after. :). Project Management Fail.

Ozozuz

Do the undervolt settings stick when you kill the XTU app and process? Or does that cause the voltage settings to revert to default?

I like the idea of undervolting but I notice that the XTU app and service consumed a consistent 1-2% CPU usage, so I stopped running them.

I notice the cpu consume too, that's why after apply my new settings i close the app.
The settings will rest till the next complete reboot C:

leeshor

@GreyFox7
I totally agree but the same thing happens with desktop Windows and always has, with people trying to tweak something or using utilities they should never have attempted to use in order to theoretically improve performance. Those utilities rarely help and frequently hurt, You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It is for that reason that in my computer company, from day one in 1989, I have never taken on a residential customer. Only businesses. Home users are a royal pain in my business. With very few exceptions (I do have a few business owners who think they know best), my customer don't do much other than install their own software. Anything out of the mainstream they ask first.

Cothek

Grousing about does a 15w part run at maximum speed is pointless in the context that it outperforms what the 11.5w part could do.

Unless you work for MS why do you care? If you don't like the articles or forum posts, don't read them. Let MS deal with it. They have a whole marketing and legal team for that.

I for one buy a PC because it provides this kind freedom. Remove this freedom and they will remove a significant user base.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do I care? Because products fail based on the weight of distractions. People are paid good money to make distractions happen. Windows 8 is a fine example of that, people are afraid of it because of lies they have heard but IF they ever try it most think it isn't so bad. The number of people that won't buy a product because XTU can't be used is miniscule to the number that can be dissuaded by noise. I care because I like the product and want it to flourish, not become a freak show curiosity.

IF it flourishes then we all get to benefit from its success otherwise it will end. Regardless of how many tweakers and self-proclaimed *pros* there are with specialized demands those numbers will not sustain the product as a commercial success you need everyone else in the community. As a niche market item maybe you'd pay $6000+, like for a Toughbook, but you won't get that from Microsoft.

Sorry to break it to you but the SP2 numbers already prove the numbers aren't there.