What's new

Surface book 3 15" with Nvidia GPU

nickt2

Guys

Just a note if anyone buys a SB3 15" model with Nvidia GPU. If you get the laptop and it doesnt show up, perform a full Windows update as the base laptop stupidly doesnt include the firmware to expose the GPU. Once you install the firmware and reboot its detected by device manager. I phoned Microsoft support and spoke to Surface support, they didnt have a clue and asked me to send it back. Not great support for a vendor on a £2900 laptop.

This issue aside I love the laptop, everything I want from a laptop, great keyboard, 32gb ram, 4k touch screen and a decent gaming GPU. I think Microsoft could also offer a better warranty , only 1 year. I can buy a £1000 TV and get a 3/5 year warranty?

**** Microsoft bake in the firmware to the base build please , and train up your support staff *****

LewJones

I just got mine today, although it is the US version, as my work shipped one out to me... fantastic piece of kit. Although, i had the 2 previous models as well.

Only issue so far, and am going to wait a couple of days before i contact support, but when i was installing windows updates, and latest available build of Win10 from windows update, the fan in the screen part of the laptop was pretty loud! it did get fairly warm. My previous SB's only made any noise when under load gaming. Anyone else get the same?

Other than that... pretty chuffed, if only it had a UK keyboard :) :)

OP
N

nickt2

I just got mine today, although it is the US version, as my work shipped one out to me... fantastic piece of kit. Although, i had the 2 previous models as well.

Only issue so far, and am going to wait a couple of days before i contact support, but when i was installing windows updates, and latest available build of Win10 from windows update, the fan in the screen part of the laptop was pretty loud! it did get fairly warm. My previous SB's only made any noise when under load gaming. Anyone else get the same?

Other than that... pretty chuffed, if only it had a UK keyboard :) :)

Nice, good work laptop. I wish my work would use Surface Book instead of Dell. We tried the original SB, however there was a high failure rate and Win10 was a bit ropey at the start. I still have my original 4 year old SB 1 and its working fine.

I havent had any issue with fan throttling with updates, im on the latest build of Win10. It does kick in when playing games, but thats expect and it isnt too bad really. The fan outlet if on the top which should help. Dont hear the fan doing normal non game work or videos.

If you get this again, bring up task manager , view processes tab and check highest process with CPU and Power to identify what is cause the fan to kick in. Have you installed any software recently perhaps. Enjoy.