What's new

Surface Connect

oronymo

:) I will tell you that there is a high speed industry compliant data bus through the connector but I'm not at liberty to say what the technology is....again NDA

Here's my question:

Does the Surface Connect port have enough bandwidth to drive a 5k display at 60hz? Doing the math, the bandwidth required is around 26 Gbps. Or maybe even 2x 4k displays at 60hz (30 Gbps)?

I would like to run the 5k Dell monitor (using dual displayport from the dock) but for some reason I'm limited to 30hz, which is *slow*

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my question:

Does the Surface Connect port have enough bandwidth to drive a 5k display at 60hz? Doing the math, the bandwidth required is around 26 Gbps. Or maybe even 2x 4k displays at 60hz (30 Gbps)?

I would like to run the 5k Dell monitor (using dual displayport from the dock) but for some reason I'm limited to 30hz, which is *slow*
That is more a limitation of the Intel Driver....

oronymo

Hmm.. perhaps. I have the Surface Book with dGPU base. I find it interesting that the nvidia driver is never accessible when configuring monitor settings - presumably it would have more powerful options available.

But if the surface connect as enough bandwidth, then this limitation could theoretically be fixed in software, correct?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Book by defaults uses the Intel GMA for the daily driver and the NVIDIA GPU for 3D rendering....