What's new

Surface Pro 3 may have thunderbolt!

OP
G

GoodBytes

Ok well, well can I tell you. A product for retarded brainwashed people.

USB 3.0:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Ca...d=1401534946&sr=8-4&keywords=1Tb+HDD+external

Look at the price difference. You can get the 2TB and still save a lot of money, and possibly save battery life as well. And you have a far better quality HDD. LaCie has reputation to put the crappiest HDDs money can buy in their products. And, to top thing off, you'll get the same speed, as that 5400RPM HDD doesn't reach the max speed of USB 2.0

Last edited:

daniielrp

Ok well, well can I tell you. A product for retarded brainwashed people.

USB 3.0:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Ca...d=1401534946&sr=8-4&keywords=1Tb+HDD+external

Look at the price difference. You can get the 2TB and still save a lot of money, and possibly save battery life as well. And you have a far better quality HDD. LaCie has reputation to put the crappiest HDDs money can buy in their products. And, to top thing off, you'll get the same speed, as that 5400RPM HDD doesn't reach the max speed of USB 2.0

Hey I agree with you, the price it ridiculous, but the product exists so clearly there are people purchasing them, which means there is a use-case for putting thunderbolt directly on the unit itself.

And, if history repeats itself, outside the US we will never see the dock anyway, so wouldn't have access to the port if it is on there.

Saul

HDD's don't come even close to saturating the USB3 BUS...

Latest gen. SSD's, I forget where their upper limits are OTTOMH...
Pretty sure even the fastest won't hit too far above USB3, tonnes of room for em in TB.

Saul

And, if history repeats itself, outside the US we will never see the dock anyway, so wouldn't have access to the port if it is on there.

Now that's prolly the best reason to have TB eventually integrated entirely into the SP.
For those who aren't yanks at least, which is most of the world...

I hope we'll simply need an adapter to change the power port into TB (or to activate the DP into one).
But if there's any truth to these rumours, IMO it's more likely it'll be available only via the dock.
At least for this iteration of the SP... :-/

Last edited:

FFX

If the Surface PRO 3 has a thunderbolt 3 socket, it would be able to make use of a standalone graphics card effectively transforming it to a gaming PC!

godson594

If the Surface PRO 3 has a thunderbolt 3 socket, it would be able to make use of a standalone graphics card effectively transforming it to a gaming PC!

This...

I have been waiting forever for external gpus so i can retire a desktop.

hh83917

It's true that 5400rpm drive won't saturate USB3 bandwidth, but that depends on how many USB3 devices you have connected due to the shared bandwidth.

Saul

Even then you'd need to have quite a few of them, & the practical limits of that, would likely be reached before you began to saturate it.
Ofc, if you have ~1-2 devices that use far more bandwidth alongside some 5400rpm drives, things can change...

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodBytes

Assuming you don't want performance drop. I hope you have more than 1 grand to spend on that external GPU. Because just the case is over 900$. You need your own power supply, and, of course the graphics card itself.
AnandTech explains what you need to set it up: AnandTech | Running an NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti Over Thunderbolt 2

External GPU is not an option, unless you are ultra rich and have money to throw away out the window.

Saul

Yeah read that AT article recently, it explains a DIY (albeit flawed) approach until "set & forget" (& more expensive) options, become more common & less $.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do we know anything more about this, is it becoming more/less likely that it'll materialise?

All we know is that there is a data bus in the Power Port, the Docking Station uses it, what the bus is hasn't been confirmed....