What's new

Poll Who's experiencing white flashes during startup/restart?

Do white flashes occur on your SP3 during startps/restarts?

• Total voters

cliffr39

just an update. I received the new SP3 (kickstand is much better, my unit would not support itself). I installed Win10 10162 and was good. I used the .msi file for the June firmware (going directly from an older 2014 version preinstalled on it) and I now have the double flash again. That means it wasn't just from the May firmware. What ever caused it is still present in the June release it seems. Starting to think it's a combination of Windows 10 bugs and firmware bugs together causing it.

tarrant64

Just an FYI I can reproduce the screen flashing on a Lenovo X1 Carbon I just upgraded to the latest build of Windows 10. Has anyone else verified in this thread if they see it on other devices? If it's software I wouldn't think it's specific to the Surface Pro.

Zog1971

Hi all. Just to add my experience......

I read here on the forum that people were experiencing the 2 white flashes before I installed the May firmware update. Prior to then I had never seen the white flashes. As soon as I installed the update, boom--the flashes were there exactly as everyone else has indicated. This occurred both when rebooting or starting up in my docking station and out of it. Very oddly, after the June firmware update I no longer get the flashes if I reboot the machine in the docking station. However, whenever I reboot or start out of the docking station I still get the flashes. Fortunately, I am not super bugged by the flashes and use my SP3 75% of the time docked.

malberttoo

Hi all. Just to add my experience......

I read here on the forum that people were experiencing the 2 white flashes before I installed the May firmware update. Prior to then I had never seen the white flashes. As soon as I installed the update, boom--the flashes were there exactly as everyone else has indicated. This occurred both when rebooting or starting up in my docking station and out of it. Very oddly, after the June firmware update I no longer get the flashes if I reboot the machine in the docking station. However, whenever I reboot or start out of the docking station I still get the flashes. Fortunately, I am not super bugged by the flashes and use my SP3 75% of the time docked.

And of course the problem with THAT, is that a whole bunch of us Win 10 users continue to get the May firmware update, sometimes every few days!

OP
J

jonypx09

just an update. I received the new SP3 (kickstand is much better, my unit would not support itself). I installed Win10 10162 and was good. I used the .msi file for the June firmware (going directly from an older 2014 version preinstalled on it) and I now have the double flash again. That means it wasn't just from the May firmware. What ever caused it is still present in the June release it seems. Starting to think it's a combination of Windows 10 bugs and firmware bugs together causing it.

Yeah, it's probably an issue with the Surface UEFI Firmware

TheJokker

Considering when the flash is occurring it is obviously the video circuit initializing. It is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Haldi

Well... Hooray now i'm getting them too!
I've been booting w10 from a virtual disk so most firmware updates did not install, but you need to install updates in a VM and not via native boot.
So after the last update to 166 i've pressed "reboot and install updates" in Windows 8.1 and now I get one flash, the windows logo with the loading circle, 2 more flashed and then selection of the OS.

Could probably find out wich was the last update on my W8.1 to know what caused this.

Moonshadow

Yes, I have the same issue after June. A white screen flashes before the Logo and another whitish screen flashes right before the login window. I contacted MS support and they kindly sent me a replacement. The issue wasn't exist in the new device until I installed all the updates.

OP
J

jonypx09

Yes, I have the same issue after June. A white screen flashes before the Logo and another whitish screen flashes right before the login window. I contacted MS support and they kindly sent me a replacement. The issue wasn't exist in the new device until I installed all the updates.

If the issue is occurring in your replacement, then it is an issue with the firmware.

Sven

Just upgraded to Win 10 (final) and applied the June (& July?) firmware update at the same time.

Bam. A single white flash when unlocking the device. (eg button press, or trackpad click).

Last edited: