What's new

4K Video playback judder?

AllTaken

I'm trying to play 4K files on my surface and keep getting severe judder.

Using VLC and Windows 10. I'm aware output is 30 frames only via displayport (Is this still the case) but my issue is when i'm playing them on the surface pro 3.

Perhaps it's software? Is the surface up to the task? Streaming via youtube seems great.

Thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
4k 30 fps is the max the Intel i5/i7 GPU supports, that's Intel's spec and I would read that as best case.
Someone posted something about doing 50fps with a custom resolution; to me that just means its not really 4k.
Where is the file stored? Internal SSD or SDcard?
Try it in Airplane mode to ensure your not getting wireless/Bluetooth interrupts.
Any other tasks running according to Task Manager or Resource Monitor?

OP
A

AllTaken

Thanks, I've tried airplane mode to no avail. Playing from the SSD and nothing of significance running in the background. Interestingly I'm playing 4K MP4 via media player no problem but VLC judders.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I've tried airplane mode to no avail. Playing from the SSD and nothing of significance running in the background. Interestingly I'm playing 4K MP4 via media player no problem but VLC judders.
What's the format with VlC, mp4 also? then seems a VLC issue.

Wafrzo

VLC has problems with MKV's. Multi-threading is a problem. I cannot stand any stutter when watching movies and VLC struggles even with 1080 files in that capacity. It may not seem like it, but play an action sequence or panning shot and it will be obvious. CCCP codec pack for media player solved it for me.

P.S. In todays digital realm, almost every streamed video stutters for me (not only on a surface, but also 4.4Ghz i7 with GTX670). It's the problem of many different framerates being uploaded/encoded to youtube/vimeo/mkv. It always looses a frame here and there in the process.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an MKV. Looks like it's anything 60fps that stutters. Is this a hardware limitation of the i5/i7?
The U series i5/i7 From Intel HD graphics specs
Max Resolution: DisplayPort U-Processors: 3200 x 2000 @ 60 Hz, 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz
HDMI*: 4096 x 2304, 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 24bpp

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

That's all she's got captain. I put in fresh dilithium crystals and reversed the matter antimatter pods

upload_2015-2-8_18-28-58.jpeg
upload_2015-2-8_18-29-23.jpeg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
VLC has problems with MKV's. Multi-threading is a problem. I cannot stand any stutter when watching movies and VLC struggles even with 1080 files in that capacity. It may not seem like it, but play an action sequence or panning shot and it will be obvious. CCCP codec pack for media player solved it for me.

P.S. In todays digital realm, almost every streamed video stutters for me (not only on a surface, but also 4.4Ghz i7 with GTX670). It's the problem of many different framerates being uploaded/encoded to youtube/vimeo/mkv. It always looses a frame here and there in the process.
yeah, there's that too. :)