What's new

$908 Million in Surface Sales, Driven by SP3

bluegrass

With specific reference to your comment about the Type Cover, my personal preference would be to have MS offer a keyboardless Cover with every Surface device and let the customer buy the Type Cover.

I had the same thought. I would always want a type cover to use away from home or office plus I think it provides good protection for the screen. For those that can't afford the type cover right away or don't plan on ever needing one, than some sort of free protective cover that would ship with the SP would be a good idea.

olimjj

Having been an early Surface Pro adopter, I am happy to have contributed in my own small way. I finally received my SP3 this week to complement my SP2. I wanted to wait until the software for this iteration matured, and the hardware manufacturing QC evolved. Loving it as I have for the earlier models.

olimjj

When I was interviewed for my new gig, I brought my SP3 to the interview, I would start 2.5 weeks later, between the time I was interviewed to hire, the CEO, Chairman and the president all recieved SP3's, now both VPs have them and they will be rolling more out to consults and PMs....
They are fortunate to have you there to help make their transition and learning curve smoother if needed.

lonaysta

I'm counting on Surface Pro 5-6 to be a true "tablet that can replace your laptop". Pro 3 is already the best convertible in the market IMO, but it does have room for progress, such as:
Less throttling, better performance: given by a better processor and cooling system. This would also keep fan noise (if any) lower. Keep going Intel and MS;
Narrower bezel border: See iPad Air. That's one thing I really like. This would also reduce dimensions as well;
Better performance for the pen: Make it a strong point even against Wacom, and let more iPad users experience this (and OneNote).
AF on the rear camera and other fixes&improvements....Microsoft go read the 3best&3worst thread!

unruledboy

I'm counting on Surface Pro 5-6 to be a true "tablet that can replace your laptop". Pro 3 is already the best convertible in the market IMO, but it does have room for progress, such as:
Less throttling, better performance: given by a better processor and cooling system. This would also keep fan noise (if any) lower. Keep going Intel and MS;
Narrower bezel border: See iPad Air. That's one thing I really like. This would also reduce dimensions as well;
Better performance for the pen: Make it a strong point even against Wacom, and let more iPad users experience this (and OneNote).
AF on the rear camera and other fixes&improvements....Microsoft go read the 3best&3worst thread!
most important of all, better battery and weight

Liam2349

I don't really see how they could trim the bezels. Trim any of them and you have to trim them all, then the keyboard won't have such a good angle and lapability will be reduced. Trim the bezels, and it will be hard to hold the device in one hand without pressing something on the touchscreen. Swiping in from the bezels is also a very important feature in my book.

macmee

Cheaper entry level device is needed, better app store is needed, smaller size and better battery/less heat are needed. But this is a start.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that they need a super ulatra portable but whether it is achievable at a lower cost point I'm not so sure.
It depends on what your willing to give up.
1. Give up Desktop Apps. On a smaller device they are too hard to use anyway.
2. Give up performance. Games would take a hit, browsing speed slowed. ...
3. Give up usability and functionality. Less screen space either packs things very close or you have to dumb down with Big Bird apps.

Everything is a series of tradeoffs.

Len J

$908 millions, assume mid-range i5, price at $1200, so maximum only 750,000 units sold..... not to mention normally will bundle with type cover, it will end up around 600,000 units sold......

That assumes all units were sold direct by MS...... that's not true.

So there are more units sold than you calculate.

Len

Clovismod

Figures aren't fully relevant. For the first time since long, if not ever, there's a MS product Apple users are raving about ...or just dreaming Apple would build the same. And so they're waiting the Ipad Pro....