What's new

About the 1.7 Billion Dollars Lost

TunaSurface

You have to spend money to make money.
Microsoft is changing to a more ''trendy'' company, but consumers are yet to see that.

ipaq_101

Ctitanic, I agree with your write-up.

I think the true goal of the SP3 was to showcase the next generation of Windows PCs, something other OEMs were very slow to adopt. Their process was lather, rinse, repeat or new processor, more memory, bigger hard drive. They forgot to innovate, so MS created the Surface and their intention was never to make this line a huge profit center, but rather to put MS OEMs on notice. If MS OEMs have healthy sales, then the entire PC industry thrives and that is where MS makes its real money.

It's clear that their is a bias in reporting on anything that isn't Apple, whenever Samsung releases a new phone it gets completely trashed by so called tech journalists who write the reviews on their MBPs and MBAs. They always say the product is good, but not Apple good. Whenever a new Apple product is released, stop the presses we have a modern marvel on our hand.

Majority of these so called tech journalists use Apple products and they review other products such as Android or MS for a few days without every really becoming familiar with their ecosystems. I can't tell you how many of these reviews I have read that say I like it , but it can't do what my iphone/ipad/mbp can. That is the problem with all these so called tech reviewers these days, they can't be objective anymore and are so locked into the Apple ecosystem that everything to them seems inferior, when the opposite is true.

Anyway good write-up.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good posts, ctitanic and ipaq_101.

There is a general misunderstanding about the word "loss" and mark to market accounting. Long-term investments and long-term vision often requires short-term so-called "loss". Furthermore, Microsoft is doing a good thing by providing balance sheets for business units, rather than lumping all of their business cycle into one, which would not be very meaningful for shareholders.

Quoted from Investopedia:
1. Problems can arise when the market-based measurement does not accurately reflect the underlying asset's true value...

Last edited: