What's new

Any way to change what SP4 pen button does?

Chuck_IV

So I bought the new SP4 pen and love just about everything except having to flip the pen over and use the faux eraser.

Is there any way to change the button on the pen to be the eraser, like the button on the SP3 pen?

Thanks

OP
C

Chuck_IV

So, according to this website, the Surface app is supposed to have all these extra pen options in it to set all this...

Microsoft now lets you customize the buttons on Surface Pen with any apps you want

However, on my SP3, I only see the Pressure Sensitivity option and none of the button setting features. I supposedly have the same version as mentioned ed I the article too. WTH?

**EDIT**
I saw in the comments that you have to uninstall the current pen drivers and install the SP4 pen drivers to get the extra options. However, that only let's you change the top button and not the side button. [emoji20]

**EDIT 2**

This also works for the original SP3 pen. It will add the additional options.

I set the top button to open OneNote 2013 desktop version instead of the app version. The problem I have is that when I am in tablet mode and press the button, while it does open Outlook 2013, to doesn't bring it to the front. It leaves it in the background, on the desktop so in tablet mode it looks like nothing happened.

I need to figure a way to get it to come to the front.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuck_IV

So as a final couple notes to this, even using the SP4 driver still does NOT allow you to change the side button, only the "Eraser" button.

And as a warning, in its current version, I would NOT install the SP4 driver because it is the same version as the SP3 one that was crashing everyone's SP3 on the 1/19 firmware update. I did and was getting all kinds of flakey things happen and lockups and blue screens.

I have not been able to find a prior version of the SP4 pen drivers that works(I'm not sure one exists at this point). So, for the time being, be warned if you do do this method.