Any way to get displayport output without getting into Windows?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by KwadGuy, Sep 2, 2014.

1. KwadGuy

KwadGuy New Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Here's the deal:

I have a Surface Pro with a smashed screen. There's no decipherable output on the's not just a case of a bad digitizer.

I can run the displayport output into an external (VGA) monitor, and that works once Windows boots up. HOWEVER, this particular Surface (purchased used) is locked to another user. So I can't get into Windows. I want to reset the machine, but even if I try to use a restore flash drive created on another machine, I can't interact with it because I can't see anything on the Surface screen AND IT DOESN'T OUTPUT ANYTHING TO THE DISPLAYPORT during the restore dialog.

I've also tried a Paragon WinPE environment restore flash drive, and that also doesn't output to the displayport. I am not sure if that's a limitation of the hardware, or if I need to inject special drivers.

My question:

A) Is there any way to get displayport output during, say, WinPE, by using special drivers?
    B) Is there a way to generate a version of the USB restore flash drive that is automatic, i.e. immediately does a restore without confirmation / dialog with the user?

If I could restore this thing to factory state, then I could log into Windows and do what I need to do (since Windows outputs to the displayport).