Best Practices for USB Drives with Surface Book?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by Jesse Segovia, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Jesse Segovia

Jesse Segovia Member

Nov 30, 2015
    My Device:
    I'm guessing if I have two USB external drives I should connect them both directly to the two USB ports in my Surface Book. But if I want to use additional drives or sync my iPhone, etc., what's the best way to go? Should I keep my main external drive plugged into one of the USB ports and plug everything else into a USB hub plugged into the second port, or should I plug everything into the hub and connect only that directly to the Surface Book?

I may eventually spring for the new Surface dock but even that will only give me a total of four USB ports so I would still need a USB hub since I have more than four total external drives and devices to sync.

And is it worthwhile using a USB hub that is not USB 3.0? Is that going to result in too slow speeds and/or errors?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Wayne Orwig

Wayne Orwig Active Member

Mar 18, 2013
    WiFi. Does your access point have a USB port?
    I sync and backup my smartphone wirelessly. Not that much data there.
    I do normal Book (laptop) backups wirelessly, since day to day data changes don't have a lot of data. I do occasionally plug my backup disk directly into the USB 3 port, but only when I make an image of the hard disk for safe keeping.
  3. kimknapp

kimknapp New Member

Nov 21, 2015
    My Device:
    Surface Book
    I use a small hub and don't see much difference between the different combinations you mentioned on my Yoga 2 Pro.
    If yours is an i7, 16GB, 512GB, I wonder if you could tell me whether you have had any problems transferring files to your external USB drives. I returned my SB because it was not working properly. Try transferring a large folder of files, like 10GB. Symptoms I was seeing was the system locking up. What actually happened was the external drives were disconnected by the OS. Sometimes the files that did transfer were corrupted.

If it works, I may take my external drive to BestBuy and try again.