What's new

Boot a win10 sp3 via USB

lyrebird

Want to have a clean installation of win10.
1 Dowwnloaded the isp using Microsoft tool,
2 write to a usb drive using Rufus with gpt partition
3 turn off secure boot and change to USB ->SSD
4 remove the sd drive.

However, the system never boots via USB, why?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Build the USB with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

Works with secure boot on too.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you make sure to format as Fat32? You will not be able to boot via an NFTS formatted drive on the surface.

agt499

I went through this yesterday with no success.
Formatted FAT32, built with the MS Media Creation Tool, and checked there was no SD card installed (thanks GreyFox7!).
Still didn't work.

This morning I've also just tested with an OpenSuse Linux LiveUSB that I have used with it previously on 8.1, and this will not boot either. (I've check BIOS settings are for USB - Secure Boot on or off makes no difference).
Given this detail, it eliminates any issue with the media creation or USB formatting - it seems that some machines (like mine and lyrebird's) are rendered unable to boot to USB by the Win10 update.

toejams64

I had the same problem. I built a USB manually using Diskpart and after a snippet I found on the Internet named it BOOTME. After that it booted.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Command Prompt
Diskpart
List disks
0 = ssd
1= usb

Select disk 1
Clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick
active
exit

Clean will remove all partitions including hidden partitions.

Last edited:
OP
L

lyrebird

I am the op. I was able to figure out my problem. The ISO I built is a mix of x86 and x64. It fails boot. After making a pure x64 iso, the problem is solved. Hope my experience helps.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am the op. I was able to figure out my problem. The ISO I built is a mix of x86 and x64. It fails boot. After making a pure x64 iso, the problem is solved. Hope my experience helps.
Could you provide any more detail on how one vs the other was built. It might help someone else.

OP
L

lyrebird

When you create the iso using the Microsoft tool, you have option to choose either a mix of x86 and x64, or just x64. The mixed version failed to start, the x64 one works well.

TPadden

Easiest solution for me (Bootme name didn't work) was just boot to the Recovery/Advanced Startup/Troubleshoot/ Advanced Options/ Command Prompt . From the C: prompt, CD to the D: (Usb drive), and just run setup.

Last edited:
OP
L

lyrebird

I tried this solution, and found out the same result: a mixed version won't run setup. Hence again, make a x64 version.

Easiest solution for me (Bootme name didn't work) was just boot to the Recovery/Advanced Startup/Troubleshoot/ Advanced Options/ Command Prompt . From the C: prompt, CD to the D: (Usb drive), and just run setup.