Hi, I thought I'd share some advice here because when I had a problem with this hard drive, the internet did not help me. I bought the Buffalo Drivestation DDR external hard drive (2tb) because a) 256gb on my Surface Pro 2 is not enough, b) It is supposed to be stupidly fast over USB 3 - faster than any other modestly priced external drive (thanks to the caching). I plugged it in to the Surface Pro 2 and... it didn't work. The drive wasn't recognised and wouldn't even light up. I tried it on a Windows 7 desktop and an iMac and it worked. To fix the problem, I did 2 things so I'm not sure which of them fixed it, but I'd recommend doing both. 1. I formatted the drive to Fat32 (by default it is formatted to NTFS). 2. I downloaded the latest firmware from Buffalo and installed it on to the drive. I had to do this on the Windows 7 desktop because it didn't work with the Surface, so I was lucky that the other PC was available to me. Buffalo don't recommend formatting the drive on a Mac (not sure why, but didn't want to risk it). Anyway, I'm sure other people will buy this drive and experience the same issue, so hopefully this will help. I haven't tried the drive out properly yet, but it copied an 80mb file from the drive to my computer in less than a second, so seems promising.