What's new

Changing Users Causes Tablet Mode Issues

IanF

I've been using my SP3 for a couple years without incident, but now I've started sharing it with my spouse. When one of us is logged in under our profile, and we try to switch to the other, frequently the incoming user's profile doesn't "boot" into tablet mode. This means the touchscreen isn't active, and means that the start menu tiles don't always load right.

I've done a lot of searching and haven't found this issue anywhere. Anyone have any solutions, suggestions, or advice? Rebooting solves the issue, at least until the second person logs in. It's somewhat sporadic. Might be related to allowing it to passively go to sleep instead of actively selecting the sleep button, but I'm not sure.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@IanF ,

Welcome to our forum!

Are you using Windows 8.1 ? I believe this problem was noted under that OS, but is not an issue with Windows 10, which keeps the touch screen active in all modes.

Let us know.

OP
I

IanF

When I bought it, it had 8.1, but soon after it automatically upgraded to Windows 10. I never tried having two user profiles when I had 8.1, so I don't have anything to compare to, unfortunately. Your response makes me concerned though, since it sometimes looks like it's in tablet mode after a profile change, but the touch screen definitely doesn't work (the mouse still does). Sometimes, though, it changes and looks like Windows 7 with the taskbar and everything; touch screen doesn't work in that mode either when the issue is occurring.

Thanks for the help!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This does not sound like a hardware issue. I wouldn't worry about that.
What version and Build of Windows 10 are you running? (Settings, System, About)