What's new

Condition of refurbished units

nilsk123

After using my sp3 very carefully for 3 or 4 months, i've had to send it back to get a replacement. one day to the next it just wouldnt start anymore, no response to pressing the power button.

Thing is, i've been realy REALY careful with it. Not a scratch, not a dimp, nothing. It could be sold as new and noone would notice. Now that i'm getting a refurb back, i'm afraid it won't be in the same mint condition as the one i sent back.

Any experiences with that? Microsoft assured me i dont have to be worried about it but in my experience they have a history of dissapointing when it comes to their repair service.

tony8154

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Today I went to a walk in trade in center in HK to receive a refurb. After a minute of careful inspection I declined the refurb. Although i requested one due to my cracked screen, like the OP there wasn't a single scratch or ding on mine. The refurb wasnt cared for at all. It had tons of scratches, some of the corners were showing bare metal as the matte silver finish was either rubbed or dinged off, and worst of all, the fan was very noisy.

malberttoo

Today I went to a walk in trade in center in HK to receive a refurb. After a minute of careful inspection I declined the refurb. Although i requested one due to my cracked screen, like the OP there wasn't a single scratch or ding on mine. The refurb wasnt cared for at all. It had tons of scratches, some of the corners were showing bare metal as the matte silver finish was either rubbed or dinged off, and worst of all, the fan was very noisy.

What kind of store was this? That doesn't sound good at all!

jrioux

I recently purchased a "factory refurbished" SP3 from Microsoft and it looked like new. I guess you win some, and lose some.

Telstar1948

When my first SP3 died, I exchanged it through MS. I received my replacement, and it looked as though it had never seen the light of day - perfect. A few days later, I used a damp cloth to wipe the screen clean, and I noticed (with some moisture on the screen) several scratches. As soon as I used a dry cloth to dry the screen, I could not see the scratches from any angle. I can see them after wiping the screen with a damp cloth, but as soon as I dry the screen with a dry cloth you simply cannot see a scratch no matter what light you use or what angle you view the screen. I guessing my replacement SP3 was a refurb because of the screen. But it's truly weird to me that you cannot see a scratch on the screen no matter how hard you try unless the screen has moisture on it.

My present SP3 hasn't given me a moment's problem, and by all other signs it has every appearance of being a new one, damp screen aside.

bryanthebold

My new surface pro 3 had a minor defect where the screen sat outside of the metal trim. Not a huge deal but the fan also was loud and buzzed constantly. I tried to give it a few weeks but still no luck. The fan was truly annoying (beyond normal fan noise). I got a replacement through MS Complete and when it arrived the screen was totally shattered. The packaging isn't sufficient to protect a surface in shipping. Sent that back and received another unit. That is what I am on currently and it works great. I can't tell that its "new" or "Refurb." Seems like the process is hit or miss and if you don't like your replacement, send it back and try again :p