What's new

Does this look right?

AnisKhan

My SP3 doesn't seem to be updating very well, specifically the 18/11/14 Firmware.

It keeps saying it succeeded, failed, succeeded...

I am using build 9879 Windows 10 (clean/full wipe build).

I rang Microsoft but they said don't worry as Windows 10 is still not final yet. I don't buy this though and believe something is wrong.

firmware fail.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is known issue on SSD based devices running the Preview, the Official MS Work Around is this:

1. Restart your PC
  2. Open CMD.exe as an Administrator and run: compact /u /exe /s:%windir%\winsxs\filemaps
  3. Immediately afterwards run Windows Update > Check for updates
  4. Install KB3020114
  5. Restart when prompted

If that doesn't work, I did this:

Uninstall these:

KB3019269
KB3018943
KB3016725
KB3016656

This will require multiple reboots...

Then run Windows Update and all should install correctly...

OP
A

AnisKhan

Really appreciate it. Uninstalled the re installed the updates and that seems to have done it. Thanks.

OP
A

AnisKhan

The only problem I still have is the firmware doesn't seem to install. It still says failed or pending restart or successful. It doesn't seem to stick.

Using the above method, seems to have resolved the Windows updates but not the firmware.

ScottyS

The only problem I still have is the firmware doesn't seem to install. It still says failed or pending restart or successful. It doesn't seem to stick.

Using the above method, seems to have resolved the Windows updates but not the firmware.
jnjroach 's command prompt "compact /u /exe /s:%windir%\winsxs\filemaps" fixed the update failures for me.

But as to uninstalling firmware, others here can correct me if I'm wrong but don't firmware updates flash the UEFI code and is therefore not able to be "uninstalled". Even a Refresh or Restore (re-installation) of the OS doesn't un-do a firmware update.

So that brings me to a question. Could there be a circumstance where the new firmware code is not compatible with (or has problems with) older versions of the OS if you uninstall updates or restore to OS to a pre-firmware update state?

OP
A

AnisKhan

Sorry, should have clarified that there isn't an option to uninstall the firmware, only the updates. The firmware as mentioned just says on the view update history, unsuccessful, successful, unsuccessful etc.
I'm thinking the firmware updates can only be done in Windows 8 and not 10 (but I'm just guessing).