What's new

Enterprise Adoption of Windows 8/Devices

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think the other driver (as I also believe Windows 8/RT Tablets will be the key into introducing the Modern UI to the enterprise) is the adoption of Windows Server 2012 and System Center 2012 SP1 in the Datacenter due to the extra Security Features you can get using Windows 8/RT Clients. As soon as IT discovers the ability of Virtual Smart Cards for Direct Access and NAP we'll see more adoption.

Last edited:

pallentx

Yes, we are setting up an evaluation System Center 2012 environment right now. There has already been some mentions of features available when everything is on Windows 8 / Server 2012.

machistmo

I agree with your statement, but it was mitchellvii's statement of "Products like this are good for Windows 8 achieving enterprise acceptance."

If Microsoft wants to move Windows 8 to the enterprise they need to do one thing...

Move Microsoft Office to the Modern UI.

The Modern UI needs a little help before they move Office to it. I think they are full steam ahead on that Gemini project though and you should it land on or around September (December - Feb 2014 my guess) but MS last word was September time frame.

That being said, we are currently testing TPT2's for our district level sales managers. Half received iPad's and the other half the TPT2's. We bought the RT's (3) and no one liked them and so they were eliminated. We liked them from the lock-down standpoint but without VPN support and a Pro Office option they just never stood a chance. JLG's claim she uses a Surface RT as her sole device is a great PR ploy for MS, but not something that presented itself as a reality for our environment or business needs.

machistmo

I think the other driver (as I also believe Windows 8/RT Tablets will be the key into introducing the Modern UI to the enterprise) is the adoption of Windows Server 2012 and System Center 2012 SP1 in the Datacenter due to the extra Security Features you can get using Windows 8/RT Clients. As soon as IT discovers the ability of Virtual Smart Cards for Direct Access and NAP we'll see more adoption.

This depends greatly on management willingness to pay for all that stuff. Don't forget the hardware changes aren't cheap for what you are talking about, never mind the work in the backend that would be required just getting to this point. I mean its a nice solution, but expensive and hard to justify to management when 7 is under support until 2020. Our CEO always wants to know how anything we are doing will help sell more coffee, its just that simple.

When the business case is there, we will make that transition and then avail ourselves of these options and features as a bonus, not migrate outright to get them. At least that's my reality.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Current industry average is replacing Servers every 5 years, the last major upgrade cycle was 2008-2009 and we are definitely seeing a growing interest in Cloud Computing, so I believe we'll see a wider adoption. I'm seeing MS win 75% of Green Field Private Cloud deployments over competitors.