External battery pack?

Discussion in 'Surface 3 (Atom)' started by adambravo, May 19, 2015.

1. adambravo

adambravo New Member

Now that Microsoft's gone to the microSD connector, I'm wondering about the various external power packs designed primarily to recharge your cellphone. I've got a couple of ~2600mAH packs, and am wondering if any of the larger units (I've seen anywhere from 5000 to 12000mAH) would be able to power up the S3 in a low-battery situation. Thoughts?

2. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    @GreyFox7 did an extensive thread on charging the S3, he might have some good insight.

3. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

These three from Anker work well and it should be noted that they are rated to output up to 3 amps at 5 volts Although I never observed the Surface 3 drawing more than 2.3A from the battery pack or a charger it's possible it might go a little higher. Two battery packs I tried that were only rated for up to 2.1A shutdown after a while. The response I got from support for one of those packs said the S3 was new and they didn't know if it was/would be supported.

1. Anker Astro E6 Ultra-High Capacity 20800mAh

2. Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh

3. Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh 3-Port 4A

Although I have not tested these I'm confident given their 3A rating they would work also.
    Anker 2nd Gen Astro E3 Ultra Compact 10000mAh 3A

Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 3A

I cant say about others with lower ratings. In theory they would just charge slower and not shutdown like the two I tried but unless you test them you wont know.

leeshor and malberttoo like this.