What's new

Poll FYI - Do Not Reboot SP3 with TypeCover Folded Back

With the TypeCover Folded Back, Does your SP3 Reboot Successfully?

• Total voters

buers

How strange; I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the latest firmware. I was able to reproduce this issue on a few other units.

There seems to be a solution, unfortunately it is not really documented: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/help-with-freeze-on-boot.13741/page-2#post-109851

I see the same issue since I have the SP3 (December 2014). Maybe it is related to exactly the same symptoms I see (not always) when rebooting when docked with the original docking station. (There are also several threads in this forum with similar experiences).

I have never seen these symptoms (stuck at the black "Surface screen") when booting (vs. rebooting) or when waking up from hibernation. When stuck at the Surface screen and pressing the power button for several seconds, the next boot always was successful.

OP
J

jonypx09

There seems to be a solution, unfortunately it is not really documented: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/help-with-freeze-on-boot.13741/page-2#post-109851

I see the same issue since I have the SP3 (December 2014). Maybe it is related to exactly the same symptoms I see (not always) when rebooting when docked with the original docking station. (There are also several threads in this forum with similar experiences).

I have never seen these symptoms (stuck at the black "Surface screen") when booting (vs. rebooting) or when waking up from hibernation. When stuck at the Surface screen and pressing the power button for several seconds, the next boot always was successful.

Yeah, that's possible.

OP
J

jonypx09

I would like everyone to try it out and see if they experience the same issue.

Edit: I've added a poll, so to those who haven't rebooted, give it a try and report back.

Last edited:

kundas1

ok I can tell you with 1000% certainty that this is indeed happening...this happened to me last Friday and I didn't put 2 and 2 together till reading this post, and I just tried again rebooting with KB folded back and it did indeed take about 10 min, and then I rebooted again with no KB and it took under 10 seconds... also after rebooting with the KB folded back my screen loses sensitivity meaning I have to press on the screen hard to make touches happen! is this ALSO happening to you? this has never ever happened to me before till now... thanks to the OP for finding this out or who ever found this out! grrr this is no big deal but it is a little bit annoying...

EDIT: I also noticed at the bottom on the taskbar the little icon for installing a hardware icon showed up briefly (to briefly to click on) after rebooting... I wonder if this has something to do with whats going on with the KB folded back I don't know

OP
J

jonypx09

ok I can tell you with 1000% certainty that this is indeed happening...this happened to me last Friday and I didn't put 2 and 2 together till reading this post, and I just tried again rebooting with KB folded back and it did indeed take about 10 min, and then I rebooted again with no KB and it took under 10 seconds... also after rebooting with the KB folded back my screen loses sensitivity meaning I have to press on the screen hard to make touches happen! is this ALSO happening to you? this has never ever happened to me before till now... thanks to the OP for finding this out or who ever found this out! grrr this is no big deal but it is a little bit annoying...

EDIT: I also noticed at the bottom on the taskbar the little icon for installing a hardware icon showed up briefly (to briefly to click on) after rebooting... I wonder if this has something to do with whats going on with the KB folded back I don't know

My touchscreen sensitivity seems to be okay. Have you tried rebooting again?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know what component is likely the culprit of this firmware problem? Perhaps I can identify what version I have on that component, to explain why I don't have the bug.

OP
J

jonypx09

Anyone know what component is likely the culprit of this firmware problem? Perhaps I can identify what version I have on that component, to explain why I don't have the bug.

Do you have all the firmware updates installed?

Edit: I'm guessing it's an issue with the Surface Pro UEFI.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 436
Last edited: