What's new

Some Surface Devices Are Having Issues with Latest Windows Update

Maura

Some Surface devices are having issues with the April Windows update.jpg

TechRadar reports that some owners of Microsoft Surface products are having problems with their devices after they’ve updated to the April Windows update. For example, some of last year’s Surface Pro models are freezing after the update has been installed. The reason for this is apparently because the Intel SSD6 drive is incompatible with the update.

The all-in-one Surface Studio PC is also having issues in some instances, with numerous people on Microsoft’s official Community forums reporting that their device’s mouse and keyboard are disconnecting after the update.

Microsoft has said that it is aware of the issue, and has released the following statement on the forum: “We are currently working on a solution that will be provided in a future Windows Update. Please continue to check for Surface and Windows Updates to ensure that your device has the most current firmware and software available.”

The next big Windows update is scheduled for “Patch Tuesday” on June 12.

Source: Windows 10 April 2018 Update is causing problems with some Microsoft Surface devices | TechRadar

Jup, that must be what's wrong here with my brand new i5/8GB/128SSD Surface Pro. It just won't install the new 1803 update.

The initial error I got was 0x0000005. There was another error later that I forgot to jot down (there was a 9 in there).

Things I've tried:

- Create a boot USB and do a clean reinstall. When I tell Windows to restart using USB through Settings > Recovery, it doesn't boot from the USB, but just restarts but goes straight the login screen. I

- Fresh start through Settings > Recovery.

- Reset + wipe through Settings.

- I've tried running setup.exe from the USB drive. All it will do is download the update again (which is weird, shouldn't it be on the USB drive I just created with Media Creation Tool?) and error on me.

I'm utterly lost as to why this is happening.

I should also mention that when I first started using the device it felt sluggish. Whenever I opened something, switched a tab or even started typing, there was a slight delay. It feels like the many reinstalls might have fixed that.

In any case, if anyone knows what's up, I'd love to hear it!

Found the source of the problem in this article: Surface Pro (2017) owners hitting Win10 1803 update blue screens. Now we know why.

It says: " Later in the thread, eljeffe58 says his brand-spanking-new Surface Pro 2017 has an . Intel SSDPEBKF128G7 SSD. BCVHOG says he has an SSDPEBKF256G7. Both of those model numbers are Intel Pro 6000p SSDs."

I have the first mentioned SSD in my unit, so that's the problem right there.

I can't believe this. After 13 units with lightbleed, I get a good unit and then this happens. WTF Microsoft?

bondr007

Don't feel too bad. If you visit the Windows forums, you will find that the Surface products are not the only Windows machines experiencing problems with the latest Windows update. Both my Surface Pros, my HP laptop, my son's HP laptop, and our ASUS kitchen laptop are all experiencing problems.:( I hope MS comes up with a solution, because before the update.....everything was working fine.

I kind of feel like there's nowhere to run these days. I left Apple behind, because I really didn't like the new machines - and the OS has issues enough. But now here I am on a premium Microsoft product and, well... big problems. Not just the update, but the machine is general seems a little held back in day-to-day use.

reptilian

I didn't realize it at the time (April 2018), but recent updates from this year (likely cumulative firmware) BRICKED my type covers. I had a perfectly fine Surface Pro 2, always updated, and noticed the touch cover started needing to be reconnected. It went from gradual to completely stopped working. I bought a second Type Cover, same thing. Tried every MS remedy, cleaned pins, image restored, Win 10 installs, and yeah it seems like the updates killed my Surface Pro 2 with no going back. Many others have the same issue ("Surface Pro Type Cover Filter missing").
Also important to note, the Surface Pro 2 End of Life was April 2018. Is that a coincidence? Or is MS within their right to have any updates after April 2018 released with no regard for End of Life devices? It looks terrible in any case. All of this could probably be avoided if we could download and roll back older firmware, like most hardware companies have traditionally provided. What a waste of a perfectly good machine. I really hope it wasn't planned obsolescence.

MuellDawg

TechRadar reports that some owners of Microsoft Surface products are having problems with their devices after they’ve updated to the April Windows update. For example, some of last year’s Surface Pro models are freezing after the update has been installed. The reason for this is apparently because the Intel SSD6 drive is incompatible with the update.

The all-in-one Surface Studio PC is also having issues in some instances, with numerous people on Microsoft’s official Community forums reporting that their device’s mouse and keyboard are disconnecting after the update.

Microsoft has said that it is aware of the issue, and has released the following statement on the forum: “We are currently working on a solution that will be provided in a future Windows Update. Please continue to check for Surface and Windows Updates to ensure that your device has the most current firmware and software available.”

Source: Windows 10 April 2018 Update is causing problems with some Microsoft Surface devices | TechRadar

MuellDawg

MuellDawg

SurfaceGO Mouse disconnecting from Bluetooth is still occurring as of November 24, 2018. And MS has been working on this since May 2018?

MuellDawg

SurfaceGo Mouse disconnect issue has been resolved. It was not the SurfaceGo pc; it was the SurfaceGo mouse. Mouse was defective. Once I changed mouse everything was AOK

wil

I got similar issue on my bluetooth mouse..

I just got a bluetooth mouse for my Surfacce pro4.. but it keeps on disconnecting.. need to power off/on to make it work back..mouse is new and got it replaced 2x already.. i did the suggestion from blogs to check the bluetooth Power Management - (Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter) turn off the setting that says "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power".. I also did update on the drivers, still same problem exists..

Need help , pls ..thanks

willard