hello from Belgium

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction & Site Assistance' started by Riko, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Riko

Riko New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ghent, Belgium
    My Device:
    Hi everybody,

I'm a guy from Belgium, the land of chocolate, beer, (Belgian) fries and The Red Devels! :)
    And Poirot ;)

Last week, Monday, I paid a deposit for a Surface Pro 3 i7 with 512gig SSD (+ HDMI adapter), than I had to wait 2 days for the liberating message I could pick up the tablet/ultrabook...
    So, wednesday the 1st of April I finally could pick it up, I was excited.

Big reason for that exitement is that this is my first new PC since 2004....:eek: yeah you read it well, it has been +11 years since I updated my laptop.
    That laptop that I used till this day was as expensive as this Surface Pro 3, around the 2100 USD marker.
    Its an Toshiba Qosmio, the gaming laptop of its day.

It served/serves me well, but its just too slow for modern day use and also for the way I use a PC.
    Also, it still runs Windows XP and its just not safe anymore to keep using that system today.

Why did I change it only after 11 years you ask?
    Its not that I am not interested in techstuff, in the contrary, I am a geek I must admit.
    So you can imagine I was exited.
    Another big Reason is mainly postponing, initially I wanted another (gaming) desktop PC to replace my lapop, but than the Ultrabooks came on the market, and soon after the hybrids.

I loved the idea of a powerfull laptop, without being a pure gaming laptop.
    And also loved the practicality of a hybrid since meanwhile I also purchased a Nexus 7 tablet, first generation (wich I sold more than a year ago)
    But there was no hybrid powerfull enough and all tablets were running Android, for me, to replace my laptop and come somewhere near something powerfull, I wanted a grown up OS.
    So, Android tablets were not an option as a replacement.

PS: I am a Windows user, always have been, always will.

In 2011 however I did buy a small HP Pavilion dm1z, a very little (13 inch) but cool little thing, with an AMD E-350 CPU.
    I bought it initially for my last year at university to work on my paper etc.
    After that it became more and more a daily replacement tool for my now +11 years old laptop :)

I even swaped the OS from a 32bit to a 64 bit (Windows 7) and it ran fast enough.
    Though Youtube was a bit daunting for my way of usage.
    But I did use it for all my word processing applications, watching movies (moviebuff) and my daily browsing/social media.
    Execpt for listening music, I kept my soundsystem connected to my old laptop for that, since it also had a handy S/PDIF connection...:cool:

So, I bought the topmodel SP3 i7 and its everyting I expected it to be!
    As a replacement for my Toshiba the docking station had to come some day, and today i bought the docking station as well :cool:

Maybe someday I will post how my deks looks like, clean as hell! :cool:

There is one bit of a small issue, my audio-sound system.
    I can keep using it, but only with an external USB soundcard so it seems.
    I assumed I could use the audio connection of the docking station, just like I used the S/PDIF connection on my 11 year old laptop to transfer the audio from my PC to my (also 11 year old, but rocking) Logitech sound system.
    But it seems I cannot, yet, anyway, I made a topic about that 'issue' here:

But other than that! I love it.
    Dunno yet if I am ever gonna buy the backlid keyboard for this, or even a case, since I am not planning to really go outdoor with it...

What I do see myself buying in the near future, is a second big screen (24") to go next to my television.
    I'd use that screen as a main screen for my PC, we'll see.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Norcross, GA
    My Device:
    Welcome aboard. Are you not also the home of Hercule Poirot? ;)
    Riko likes this.
  3. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

Feb 26, 2013
    My Device:
    Hello Riko, from one geek to another, welcome. I am very excited for you!

Let us know as time goes on how you are enjoying your SP3.
    Riko likes this.
  4. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Pacific Northwest & China
    My Device:
    Surface Book
    Good first post. Welcome. You've joined the right forum.
  5. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Congrats and welcome to the forum...