What's new

Solved How do you get a Surface Pro fixed?

Arizona Willie

My Surface Pro tablet isn't charging.

The blue light on the power plug is not coming on, but I measure 24 volts on a couple of the points on it.

I have ordered a new one in case it is just the power supply but I suspect it is the actual tablet that may be bad.

How do you get a Surface Pro tablet repaired?

leeshor

Your best bet, if possible, would be to take it to a MS Store and have them look at it. If that isn't possible contact them using the support app on your Surface.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Your best bet, if possible, would be to take it to a MS Store and have them look at it. If that isn't possible contact them using the support app on your Surface.
========

The battery is dead and the Surface Pro will not start. My owner took it to her mothers house for a couple of days and used it till the battery drained down and it shut off --- without having it on the charger, of course. Now it won't charge. Blue light does not come on when the charger is put in place. I have a new charger coming but it won't likely get here until late tomorrow and then I will know if it is the charger or the tablet.

Since the tablet won't start I can't use the support app. I reckon I can go to Microsoft and probably ship it to them. There is no Microsoft Store within 50 miles of me. Well, there is one in Scottsdale I believe but I would ship it rather than drive way up there through the insanity they call " traffic " here.

Fortunately we have this desktop and a Windows phone so we can stumble along for awhile. My owner is already ready to buy a new computer if we have to but I don't want to until the Surface Pro 4 and / or Book has been out a few months. Lots of problems being reported it seems. And for a loaded one they want over $3,000 which is WAY more than I paid for the Surface Pro 1 with 128 gig SSD ( not sure how much RAM ). They have gone insane on their pricing and only want to give me $100 to trade in the Surface -- and since it isn't working they probably wouldn't take it at all. $100 is insulting. They sure don't think much of the products they sold.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

The new power supply arrived and IT WORKS.

Plugged it in and the blue light came on. Surface Pro charged up and ran this morning.

Now I'm hoping there isn't something wrong with the Surface Pro that killed the power supply.

When I bought the Surface Pro I bought two power supplies so I would have a spare ... just in case.

The first one started coming apart after a year and a half or so. The magnetic connector was coming apart.

So I broke out the spare and began using it ... not more than 6 months ago.

And now all of a sudden the spare went south.

Fortunately, I was able to order a new one from Amazon --- Microsoft was sold out. Don't know if they will get more or not.

But if I can get another 6 months or so out of this one I will, maybe, be ready to buy a SP4 if bug reports quit coming and they fix the problems.

Gotta love that Amazon :)

but PROBLEM SOLVED ... for now --- I hope