What's new

I may be a bit hard on the SP3 from time to time...

mcsenerd

But there's no doubt that the idea of pen based computing has come a long way!

How long have I been longing for something like the SP3? Since before I got this thing eons ago!
OriginalSurfacePro.jpg

That things still tickin' and running Windows 7 Ultimate as best as its measly 512MB of RAM will let it.

So let's see... We get with the SP3: over twice the resolution with a real touchscreen, less than half the weight, at least 7x the battery life, actually usable performance, and sooooo much more. So, I may bag on some of the shortcomings of the SP3 from time to time...but that's just because I've got high expectations. It's a great device and I absolutely love using it in my daily workflow.

annabanana

Nice post. I wanted a tablet that I could write on since I saw a guy with one like in your picture years ago. I never got one until I got the SP1 and now the SP3. I love it!!!!

kristalsoldier

It would probably serve the device - the SP3 - better if you were more vocal about your likes rather than your exacting standards, especially in public.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
But there's no doubt that the idea of pen based computing has come a long way!

How long have I been longing for something like the SP3? Since before I got this thing eons ago!
View attachment 3526
That things still tickin' and running Windows 7 Ultimate as best as its measly 512MB of RAM will let it.

So let's see... We get with the SP3: over twice the resolution with a real touchscreen, less than half the weight, at least 7x the battery life, actually usable performance, and sooooo much more. So, I may bag on some of the shortcomings of the SP3 from time to time...but that's just because I've got high expectations. It's a great device and I absolutely love using it in my daily workflow.
I don't recall the monstrosity you have pictured so be sure to let us know what it is so we can check it out in the computer museum. :)

daniielrp

I don't recall the monstrosity you have pictured so be sure to let us know what it is so we can check it out in the computer museum. :)

It's a HP Compaq TC1100 I believe. It was the first tablet PC that I really, really wanted, but never got it and ended up with HP Compaq 2710p instead.

mitchellvii

This is the first computer I have ever owned that could literally "do it all". It ticks every box. It's the Goldilocks computer - "just right".

OP
M

mcsenerd

It would probably serve the device - the SP3 - better if you were more vocal about your likes rather than your exacting standards, especially in public.

Dude, I'm a very busy consultant... and just having customers seeing what I do on the Surface Pro line in front of them has moved around 12 folks that I know of to go get one and give it (and Windows 8/8.1) a shot. I don't get uptight about technology... It, much like us measly humans, are flawed in almost limitless ways. The whole point of the post is that the SP line of products is a dream that's been a long time coming. Anyone that even had the slightest inkling (pun intended) of considering pen-based computing at one time or another has to admit that the SP3 is the closest we've ever seen to being that ideal pen-based device that many of us have dreamed of.

I pulled that thing out of the closest while cleaning up a few days ago and thought I'd give it a go to see if it still works. Lo and behold it still does :-D The crazy thing is, that with Windows 7 on it, it really works well. I've even managed to get all of the buttons and touch sensitive front screen buttons working on it. If it had more than an hour and a half of battery life, speed that didn't make you want to pull your remaining hairs out of your head, heat that puts a permanent tan on your hands, and a screen resolution that didn't leave you running for the Visine...it might be a worthy competitor to the SP3 :D But even with all of that ugliness, the Wacom digitizer in it is still rock solid and the pen input is, other than the CPU lag, almost as silky smooth as that on the SP line. Many people might not know it, but by Windows Vista, MS' Handwriting tech had really hit the prime time in my opinion. Windows 7 is what the TC1100 needed when it came out...that and 10 years better CPU/RAM/Screen improvements!

JRed

I had one.... it was an amazing computer for the time!!! It made people WOW much more then SP3 as it was absolutly unique... it was before every body had iPad and smartphone... I used it to do training and presentation, got the attention every time. I think it was a comercial flop for HP, it was before it's time...

OP
M

mcsenerd

I had one.... it was an amazing computer for the time!!! It made people WOW much more then SP3 as it was absolutly unique... it was before every body had iPad and smartphone... I used it to do training and presentation, got the attention every time. I think it was a comercial flop for HP, it was before it's time...

Here's one for you though... Underneath that thing in my closet is a... GASP... A still working TC1000 :eek:

Now THAT is a tablet PC that will drive you crazy. Ask a yungin these days about what a Transmeta proc is and they'll give you that sideways puppy dog head turn :confused:

I was so happy upgrading to the TC1100 back then, because the TC1000 was so hard to deal with.