What's new

Is Continuum Ready?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not complaining, simply pointing out the reality of the build. I dont see any reason why we cant point out and discuss the issues.

RémiM

@hughlle I am not specifically pointing my finger at someone. But I've read to many times complaints about MS and Win10 -- here, on twitter, on Cnet, and other tech websites.

With each Win10 version, MS provides a "feedback" application. All comments written somewhere else have almost no chance of being seen by the folks working at Redmond.

"You" are not happy with continuum, then go to the TP website have a look and read what the people from MS say about it: "yep it's not ready at all -- and we know it -- we are working hard to make the experience better, it will be ready on time, but we were impatient to share this feature with you."

Then, again, thank you guys for sharing an experimental feature. You are the only one to do so.

That's it. I have nothing else to say :D ;)

bvone21

I feel like you guys are complaining about a Technical Preview... This is definitely a joke. You must be happy to actually have the chance to try a software 1 year before its official launch. Stable or not stable, tablet friendly or not tablet friendly. It's called a Technical Preview and there is a reason for that. Before pushing the install button, you had at least 2 messages warning you that the distro must be unstable, must not fill all your expectations and most importantly that it must not be used as a daily OS.

Thank you Microsoft and thank you all the guys working hard on a daily basis. That is all what we should say about Win10.

Actually...no, I'm not commenting on bugs or stability at all. I get that it's a technical preview.

I'm commenting on the tablet UI paradigm shifts that we're heading toward with Windows 10 (and I think others were as well). Belfiore and Gabe Aul have confirmed that the taskbar is intended to remain on screen at all times, vertical scrolling is in (horizontal is out) and the charms are gone for good. At least those are the "intentions"...that doesn't mean it can't change. But it's unlikely. We'll probably get a lot of visual improvements and some minor tweaks to usage from here on out (as it relates to continuum, the topic of this thread).

I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to comment and provide feedback on those parts of "continuum"...isn't that part of the point of the preview? In addition to bug squashing/fixes?

I hope you don't "only" say "thank you"...because that's not going to help improve the product and defeats the purpose of a public preview...

Last edited:

mcsenerd

Exactly bvone21. For everyone complaining about UI shifts that are in play here...I can point out at least 5X that number that are acting like Win10 is the second coming of Christ or something. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's Kool-Aid intoxicated into not seeing the steps back being presented as "progress" when it comes to touch on Win10 so far. I do send feedback through their tool...and I do hope that they come to their senses in terms of tablet mode, but like bvone21, I'm not holding my breath that things are going to get much better. Maybe they'll fix it in 10.1

dleuen

I guess this release is about appeasing the corporate base and desktop users and we will have to wait another three years after W10 is released for the return of a tablet friendly OS. In the meantime just don't upgrade and keep running Win 8.1.

I agree 100% with this comment. I see Windows 10 as a huge step backward for the tablet. I think it will be wonderful on a desktop but based on the tech preview from January, tablet mode is horrible compared to 8.1. And I don't see that changing either. At this point in the development cycle the design has to be finalized. They may tweak a few things here and there but the architecture is desktop only. When I installed the Win 10 preview my first thought was that "Wow, MS is abandoning tablets". I don't see any other explanation for the design choices made in Windows 10.

So the desktop enhancements do look fine but Microsoft hasn't learned anything about corporate upgrades. Many, many enterprises have just now (or still are) updating from XP to Windows 7. No large organization will be moving to Windows 10 no matter how pretty it is. As I see it the landscape looks like this. Tablet users loved Windows 8.1 but desktop users hated it. Tablet users will hate Windows 10; desktop users will like it but no one will move to it because they have just updated to Windows 7. So no one at all will buy Windows 10. Even giving it away for free.

Hmmmmm. Opposite point of view approaching ...... I installed the original TP and removed it a week later - as all the MUI apps were hosed. With the latest version though, I'm happy using TP as my primary OS. MUI apps (generally) work again - although Solitaire is refusing to fire up after the latest update. To close, just swipe down and minimise/maximise/shrink or restore. If I'm not using the keyboard, then the "burger menu" gives me access to the lower application settings. The fact that it's all seamlessly integrated into a desktop style environment is a win/win.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly bvone21. For everyone complaining about UI shifts that are in play here...I can point out at least 5X that number that are acting like Win10 is the second coming of Christ or something. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's Kool-Aid intoxicated into not seeing the steps back being presented as "progress" when it comes to touch on Win10 so far. I do send feedback through their tool...and I do hope that they come to their senses in terms of tablet mode, but like bvone21, I'm not holding my breath that things are going to get much better. Maybe they'll fix it in 10.1

I don't think you can really state that MS is taking steps back from 8.1 given we've no idea what 10 will really be like. Just look at how the UI has changed from 9879 to 9926. Come RTM, anything could have been implemented. And again, you say maybe they'll fix it in 10.1, why do you say that when you don't even know what it will be like in 10? We don't even have a beginning of an implementation of continuum and you're already writing the whole thing off as a fail.