What's new

Is it possible to turn off the type cover while attached?

CrippsCorner

Side question: How is the Designer Keyboard? They look awesome... I'd love to get one, but I just don't need it lol.

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Of course you need one! My motto: You want it, you need it! Which is why I was looking for a cheap hybrid pc to read comics and ended up with a Surface 4 Pro with docking and a lot of other stuff. As to the answer, yeah. It's quiet. It doesn't have the "tupperware lid" sound of the type cover. I have no idea why anybody can say that it doesn't make noise. The switches don't, but bottoming them out does. Oh, and I write extremely fast (I've been writing non stop in my job as a translator at least 8 hours every day for close to 25 years), so it's more like hearing very hard rain on a tupperware box! And it's pretty good to write on too. But not on par with my all time favourite keyboard, the Logitech DiNovo Cordless Desktop for Notebooks. I have two of those, one at home and one at the cabin. And one on a shelf for when one of the two breaks down. I want to buy a couple more from eBay before they get totally impossible to get. But I don't want that for my lap typing for two reasons:

1. The huge USB receiver sticking out of the Surface. That's just silly. So I wanted something Bluetooth.

2. And more important: I need something with a numerical keyboard, and the one on the DiNovo is separate. So I can't have that balancing on my lap.

icon123

Maybe, it's his type cover. I bought one at best buy and it was really quiet. Definitely quieter than the S3 and SP3 I have tried in the past. Then, I got another one (SP4) from Amazon and it is really loud, almost rattly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"I have two of those, one at home and one at the cabin. And one on a shelf for when one of the two breaks down."
Going to try this math lesson with my wife... 1 + 1 + 1 spare = 2 :) I think I can sell her on it ... heck she married me so it's not impossible to fool her.

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Yeah, it's called Norwegian math: I have those, and one spare. Scotsmen are known for being cheap, we vikings are more into the being prepared camp!