What's new

Just curious...

cemian

All of you surface pro 3 owners , especially i7 but would like to hear from the others as well...regarding the fan...from a cold start where the fan is off...when you start netflix can you start watching a show without the fan coming on immediately? I think i once had a well oiled machine ...but after a failed 9/9 update since it was already installed previously, the fan loves to come on and stay on..which blows through battery life...didn't see an option to undo it since I think it was firmware based. Granted I did have the power profile on balanced and not power saver..but just curious if this is normal for everyone else...thanks

OP
C

cemian

when you pause the show or exit the app can you hear the fan running? the sound of the fan wouldn't be heard if the sound is still playing or if it is noisy outside...thanks

mwilson

Sp3 i7 here, never had fan on once while watching Netflix. Fwiw, I think Netflix uses Silverlight instead of flash, which is more processor and hence energy efficient.

ctitanic

All of you surface pro 3 owners , especially i7 but would like to hear from the others as well...regarding the fan...from a cold start where the fan is off...when you start netflix can you start watching a show without the fan coming on immediately? I think i once had a well oiled machine ...but after a failed 9/9 update since it was already installed previously, the fan loves to come on and stay on..which blows through battery life...didn't see an option to undo it since I think it was firmware based. Granted I did have the power profile on balanced and not power saver..but just curious if this is normal for everyone else...thanks

Capture.JPG

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just tested it again, no fan at all, even when I turned sound off and held it to my ear I couldn't hear it.

I did just have an "issue" with the documents uploader for office causing fan to run full blast but I sorted that as it was a "stuck" upload.

kundas1

@cemian there ya go... btw just to let you know, I think Netflix doesn't use silverlight anymore as I am able to watch Netflix in IE11 on my Surface 2 RT and I KNOW surface RT doesn't have Silverlight because I could never watch Netflix on IE11 before... and now I can...