What's new

Keep charger in when at home?

I find my self having to charge my SP3 at least twice a day since i do so many tasks etc. So when im home should i just keep it in my charger or discharge once it reach 100%?

whats best to conserve battery life span?

ctitanic

I find my self having to charge my SP3 at least twice a day since i do so many tasks etc. So when im home should i just keep it in my charger or discharge once it reach 100%?

The question has been answered here and around the web. The short and best answer is... do whatever is best for you and enjoy the device.

OP
S

surferpro3

haha but im paranoid ill ruin my battery to early and have to bring a charger when i want to not use the cahrger, if u know what i mean:p

FlySwatter

Monday through Friday, I take my Surface to work and use it without a power supply. I have the power supply in my laptop case "juuusst in case" (but have never needed it). When I get home, I plug it in and leave on my desk -- plugged in, connected standby -- until the next morning. I usually don't use it in the evenings (I use my desktop). On the weekends, it alternates from my desk being charged, to unplugged on the couch for light lap use, but is mostly being "over"-charged over the weekend. My guess is that I'll experience some other hardware failure , or have moved to another device before I have a battery problem.

Don't over think it. Enjoy it.

kristalsoldier

haha but im paranoid ill ruin my battery to early and have to bring a charger when i want to not use the cahrger, if u know what i mean:p

Well, you can get MS's Complete Coverage and do what you want. In case of a battery failure, you can just pay the deductible and get a new (or refurbed) unit. Alternately, you can use the SP3 without concern knowing that there will inevitably be some battery degradation like with all other battery-driven devices.

Bottom-line, it is really not worth worrying about the battery and letting that hamper your use of the device. These things are meant to be used and none of them have been sold with the promise that they will last forever.

Liam2349

In the long-term, it's better not to charge the device t0 100%.

Microsoft says you can use 5 cycles a week for 4 or 5 years before your battery only holds 80% of original capacity.

If you want the device to last longer, then charge it to 90% and unplug it. You could also charge to 80% and unplug it, or even 50% and it will live longer, but then it will likely run out on you, so you need to find your own sweet spot between long-term and short-term battery life.

Personally I charge the device at night before I sleep and I charge it to about 90%. I'm not too worried about it because in less than a year I'll probably have a SP4.

For comparison, I charge my phone without a care in the world as the battery is easily replaced, however I don't upgrade phones like I do computers, I just don't really care about having the greatest phone.

malberttoo

Like Frank said above, don't sweat it and just enjoy the SP3. Let it discharge once a month to at least 10% and you'll be fine.

DeltaXray

With modern batteries the current advice is to have at least 1 full charge/discharge cycle a month. Oddly that doesn't mean charge it up and run it all the way down. 5x 20% discharge/charge cycles still count as one full cycle, 4x 25% and so on.