What's new

Making tablet grippier

There is a lot I like about the Surface 3 but I amhaving a hardtime handling such A large tablet.

Why did MSFT make the back completely smooth? I have huge hands and I'm constantly wrestling with it. Andwhy such sharp edges? I'm also inadvertently hitting stuff on Edge . Very frustrating.

Has anyoneputanythingon the back to make it grippier?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
there are a handful of skins available that appear to offer a small improvement in grip, things like carbon fiber etc. Personally, i just use the kickstand. It doesn't look pretty but it is much more comfortable than trying to hold the thing normally with one hand.

kundas1

There is a lot I like about the Surface 3 but I amhaving a hardtime handling such A large tablet.

Why did MSFT make the back completely smooth? I have huge hands and I'm constantly wrestling with it. Andwhy such sharp edges? I'm also inadvertently hitting stuff on Edge . Very frustrating.

Has anyoneputanythingon the back to make it grippier?

giphy.gif

I don't get it, I have smaller hands and I don't have any trouble with holding it or slipping or hitting it on stuff... LOL

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
giphy.gif

I don't get it, I have smaller hands and I don't have any trouble with holding it or slipping or hitting it on stuff... LOL
at times it can feel slippery, or that you are in a situation where you cannot afford to drop it. You might not have a problem, but many do. In the same way many have a problem not destroying their surface so dont feel a need to buy urban armour etc.

I can barely hold it with one hand without the touchcover. And then try doing anything with it. What if you are standing on the subway. Or waiting in a line. Or whatever, and you can't use the kickstand.

ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BY A HYBRID TABLET????

I think this is a serious design flaw. I can understand the lagginess with the processor. That you can't get around. But making it so hard to hold makes no sense. I suppose they wanted it to slip easily into a book bag or something.

there are a handful of skins available that appear to offer a small improvement in grip, things like carbon fiber etc. Personally, i just use the kickstand. It doesn't look pretty but it is much more comfortable than trying to hold the thing normally with one hand.
Thanks. I'm going to shop for something like this. Really, try holding it between your thumb and forefinger without using your body to support it. Let it dangle. It will slide until you are pinching the edge and then it will drop to the floor.

at times it can feel slippery, or that you are in a situation where you cannot afford to drop it. You might not have a problem, but many do. In the same way many have a problem not destroying their surface so dont feel a need to buy urban armour etc.
When I said hitting stuff I meant hitting the back button on the Edge browser or something else on the screen by accident. This is because there is only so much real estate to thold the thing with and holding it is a struggle.

It is obvious why they encourage you to disable the Windows button (which I finally did).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I'm going to shop for something like this. Really, try holding it between your thumb and forefinger without using your body to support it. Let it dangle. It will slide until you are pinching the edge and then it will drop to the floor.
I don't find any issues such as you experience, that's not to say you aren't but it may be unique to you. perhaps your skin is slipperier than most or your grip is weak or you're experiencing some combination of grip reducing phenomena or higher than usual gravity in your area :) but a design flaw it's not.

Pursuing a tactile skin for the Surface that's more compatible to you is a logical course, maybe a nice frog skin.

My last attempt to illustrate. My favorite tablet (now obsolete) was the Blackberry tablet.It had a tiny rubber gasket that protrudes around the front bezel. This made the device really easy to handle. It didn't change the appearance or anything.

kundas1

I can barely hold it with one hand without the touchcover. And then try doing anything with it. What if you are standing on the subway. Or waiting in a line. Or whatever, and you can't use the kickstand.

ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BY A HYBRID TABLET????

I think this is a serious design flaw. I can understand the lagginess with the processor. That you can't get around. But making it so hard to hold makes no sense. I suppose they wanted it to slip easily into a book bag or something.

first off there is NO tablets I'm aware of that have rubberized backing! I've owned the galaxy 7" and 10" and the ASUS 10" and a couple more I can't remember and ALL of them had smooth backing! so what is YOUR point? sorry but this isn't a design flaw, this is YOU having issues and nothing else.

My last attempt to illustrate. My favorite tablet (now obsolete) was the Blackberry tablet.It had a tiny rubber gasket that protrudes around the front bezel. This made the device really easy to handle. It didn't change the appearance or anything.

I also had the BB PlayBook and if I recall it was only a 7" tablet! of course you could hold it with no problems lol but I don't remember it having rubber gaskets around the front bezel... but the back did have a softer backing than the others... man that was a good tablet, too bad BB dropped the ball on that by not supporting it and not updating to BB10... the tethering to the BB phone is still something I miss and wish MS would adopt that on its SP4/5/6 with the Lumia phones!!!

Kundas,

I think that we are kindred spirits because I also had the blackberry device is my very first tablet. Indeed, it did have a very subtle rubber gasket around the front bezel.

I agree that the tethering with the handset (before BB 10) was the best ever. Now that I look back I wonder if I should have stayed with that pairing forever. I still have two of those tablets around.

I think that it is my being raised on that tablet that is making me frustrated that I cannot grip the Surface 3 better. Also my 7 inch nexus tablet was easier to hold because it was smaller and had a larger bezel on the sides. That was another great tablet.