What's new

Memory hog.

Sassi

So, looking at task manager today, I noticed that a lot of memory was being used and it was down to mainly one process called runtime broker.

runtime.jpg

Does anyone know why this process is using so much memory? Is this normal?
Many thanks, sorry I'm a bit of a windows newbie as I've used apple products for years.

DeltaXray

Runtime Broker is a management agent for Modern apps, and as far as I can tell does things like checks that apps have requested the correct permissions and the user is informed each time the app wants to do something with them (for example, use your webcams).

It is quite well known for it to have memory leaks which appears to be down to buggy third party metro apps with Live Tiles.

If any have Live Tiles try turning them off one by one to see which one is affecting your machine.

ctitanic

So, looking at task manager today, I noticed that a lot of memory was being used and it was down to mainly one process called runtime broker.

View attachment 3707

Many thanks, sorry I'm a bit of a windows newbie as I've used apple products for years.
Stop looking for issues and start enjoying your SP3!;)

bluegrass

I would create an Excel spreadsheet with two columns. One column for the name of the process and one column for the amount of memory the process is using. Enter all the process names and the amount of memory each uses into this spreadsheet. Now sort by the amount of memory being used. See where the Runtime Broker is on the spreadsheet and compare it to the rest of the processes. Let us know how it comes out. BTW my Runtime Broker was using 4.4 mb as compared to another process named XtuService (32 bit) that was using 24.9 mb.

Also Sassi, just between you and me, right after booting, I checked my memory usage and it was running at 23% and the CPU usage was hovering around 21% but I think it will die down some after it settles down in its rocking chair and relaxes.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 3707

Remember that any time you suspend a MUI App it stays in memory for a few minutes until resources need to be freed for other processes, if it stays like that for a long time (more than 30 minutes) then I would say something is wrong...