Micro SD Support on RT???

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by cheath, Oct 9, 2012.

1. cheath

cheath New Member

I'm trying to figure out if I need to shell out for 64g model RT. The specs I have found online for Surface RT and Pro are vague at best. I have tried to educate myself on SD formats and I'm even more confused now. I know there is a difference between SD, SDHC and SDXC as far as storage capacity and format, but does the card reader and/or software for Surface RT limit sd card size? I assume that PRO version will read micro SDXC of 64g but will RT only read micro SD and 32g. My phones will support 32g but that's the limit, at least according to specs. If I don't understand the SD formats I apologize, but does anybody know or are we all waiting on more info?
  2. cheath

cheath New Member

WTF??? What has art got to do with micro SD?
  3. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Generally devices these days only officially support 32GB cards but in reality the hardware supports 64GB and possibly 128GB as well. Of course it is a bit of a gamble to buy hardware on that basis. More and more people have been trying modern phones and tablets with larger and larger capacity cards though and for the most part everything works.

SD card <= 2GB
    SDHC is 4GB to 32GB
    SDXC > 32GB

Since the Surface hardware isn't out yet nobody knows for sure but based on test results of current devices they should support 64GB cards.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. D.T. Rose

D.T. Rose New Member

Not sure if the original poster still needs assistance with this question, but according to the Microsoft Surface's product page, the RT will support microSDXC.
  5. D.T. Rose

D.T. Rose New Member

We need some serious spam control here.
  6. GSOgymrat

GSOgymrat New Member

That is disappointing since most cameras take regular size SD cards. My iPad has an SD card adapter but I have a tendency to forget to bring it on trips. I was hoping I could just pop the card into the Surface without remembering an adapter or cable.
  7. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Micro SD is truly the way of the future though as more devices are trending this way. You have two easy solutions though. 1 You can use a usb micro SD reader since there is a USB port. 2 You can use a micro SD card in an SD card adapter in your standard SD device. Pop the SD card out of the camera and the micro out of that and then insert into your micro SD card slot. One card for two devices no dongles, just the SD card adapter. I have done this and it worked great. Many micro sd cards come in kits with these options.

Kingston-8GB-MicroSD-Mobility-Kit.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  8. dccorona

dccorona New Member

Officially, the surface RT supports micro SDXC up to 64gb in size. I believe that means it should, in theory, support 128gb as well, but on the surface website it says "up to 64gb"
  9. MrGoodtunes

MrGoodtunes New Member

Hopefully, we can assume this means support for microSDHC (up to 32GB) and microSD (up to 2GB) as well?
  10. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    This means all micro SD cards fro 0GB to 64GB are officially supported, backward compatibility is included in the standard (SD and SDHC). It is possible that even larger sizes are supported as well but that will have to be tested on the actual tablets and when larger cards become available.
  11. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    i got a 64Gb SDXC class 10 card for £40, bit dissapointed that you wont be able to install apps to it though. :(
  12. agentbb007

agentbb007 New Member

Like J515OP said, Tablet specs say it supports Micro SDXC and thus should be backward compatible with Micro SDHC and Micro SD cards.

BB
  13. floppyedonkey

floppyedonkey New Member

I can't believe how great it is to actually have removable internal storage... I'm down to try a 64GB SDXC card.
  14. kingalien

kingalien New Member

Popped in a Sandisk Ultra 64gb SDXC and it immediately recognized it.
  15. NexusBeatz

NexusBeatz New Member

anyone know if the sandisk 128gb sdxc is compatible.. I went to the Microsoft store and they said their not sure cause they never tried it
  16. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    I don't believe you can even buy a 128GB microSD at this point so nobody will know. At some point in they will be available and then somebody will have to be the first to try. Chances are very good they will be supported though. Same thing recently happened with the 64GB cards which are only recently available and people with most modern hardware that only listed 32GB support have found that their devices do support 64GB though it isn't in the specs. Sort of a chicken and egg situation but you buy with the specs provided not wishful thinking and if it works for 128GB that is a bonus.

JP
  17. NexusBeatz

NexusBeatz New Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  18. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
  19. NexusBeatz

NexusBeatz New Member

yea i noticed after i looked at it again. lol 64gb is good enough for me since imma get a win 8 laptop friday also :D
  20. Marco

Marco New Member

Here's a summary of what I know about the SD card slot on the Surface:

- It is a micro SDXC slot. The size of the card has to be microSD, not regular on miniSD.
    - SDXC cards support up to 2TB. (yes, terrabytes!). Right now 32GB & 64GB are easy to find. 128GB and 256 GB are available. They are "designed" for high end digital cameras and are very expensive. ($800 for 256GB).
    - SD cards that are rated as "Class 10" are the fastest at reading and writing data. This is again for cameras that are recording HD video. Class 4 or Class 6 cards probably work fine for storing movies and such on your Surface.
    - Most cards you try to buy should already be "SDXC" cards. I assume the reader is backwards compatible with micro "SD" cards, but haven't tried it.
    -I got a 64GB microSDXC card from Best Buy on sale for $50. I put it in the SD slot and the Surface shows it as "SD storage device" with 59.4GB of storage. It's that easy.
    -I like adding 64 GB of storage for $50 rather than paying MS $100 for 32GB of extra internal storage!
    -I hear that you can't store apps on the card. That's seems to be right as the store doesn't give you a storage place option when installing apps.
    -I also found that movie files stored on the SD card do not show up as "My Movies" in the video app. Only movies in the "My Videos" folder in Windows show up. I can still play the movies, put I have to go to the folder on the SD card and start the movie from there.

So I have found some minor annoyances with the SD card so far, but having an SD card slot is awesome and the USB port works with my portable USB hard drive as well.

Update: Just saw this on another post on this forum:
    "I figured out the problem. I had installed a microsd card and used the disk manager tool to mount it as a local folder instead of a drive letter. I did this so I could store music and videos on the card and have them visible to the apps. But this apparently was causing issues and crashing. As soon as I made the card a drive letter again my apps started working normally."

It appears you can make the SD card appear as part of the "main memory" but that its still a little buggy.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012