Microsoft May Follow Samsung's Lead and Spam Multiple Different Surface Models

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Oct 2, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Not too long ago we started hearing rumors of a potential Surface Mini product. Eventually that was confirmed, although it turns out the tab will come sometime next year. According to a new report, that may not be all that is coming next year. If the report is accurate, then Microsoft will be following Samsung's example in the tablet world and plans to spam several different versions, models, shapes and sizes of Surface products, rather than just a couple models like Apple.

So far this strategy flies in the face of what Microsoft has done up to this point, but that doesn't mean that a paradigm shift in tactics isn't valid. Supposedly, Microsoft Surface boss Panos Panay himself confirmed the eventual release of Surface models with multiple different sizes and aspect ratios. It looks like Microsoft doesn't want to just try and compete with Apple's iPad, but also wants to go after marketshare from Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX and HD series.

What do you guys think? Is this a bold move by Microsoft or a bad idea?

Source: BGR

2. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    Hmmmmm.

This is what I said in another thread:
    I suppose the spam-to-see-what-sticks model could work, hard to say. I'll remain mostly skeptical, though. :) Just waiting for my 2nd gen upgrade.

3. MOFO

MOFO Member

I could see why they would try this but not sure if it's the right idea.

4. jpatel1403

jpatel1403 New Member

I think experimenting models might not cost anything

Yea, it is right that Apple wont spam as many models as Samsung would but MS has always made a point to give tough competition.
    I believe it is really good for the market and customer specially if we have tough competition so MS spamming out more models of surface, I dont see anything wrong with it.
    Also, I look at this as a very smart strategy to remain in demand and also to assume your customers with different variations.