What's new

N-trig

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodBytes

"They have also removed the “high performance” power option from the Surface Pro 3. It used to be that you could essentially tell the Surface “fuck my battery I want you to kick ass” and that’s no longer an option. Apparently this has something to do with the new quick wakeup abilities."

You don't want to use High Performance. Many laptops and mobile devices have reduce performance compared to Balance, as the system gets too warm, even hot and that starts throttling system, or Turbo Boost is disabled. Meaning instead of having the CPU jump to 2.9 GHz when you need it when you do something intensive. It will lock at 2.0GHz, for example, or the max will be 2.5GHz, or something (varies between mobile devices, and CPU model, of course. The mentioned numbers are used as an example, and does not refer to any model of the Surface Pro line).

Zoidy

Hi all, I've pre-ordered an i5/128 in the UK primarily because of the upgraded pen technology. All this talk of N-trig vs Wacom worried me though. But there is a good. Video on YouTube of someone sketching using a Surface Pro 3 and it's really put my mind at ease... Surface Pro 3 : Pen writing and drawing demo
[video=youtube_share;VD_fNrLkS54]http://youtu.be/VD_fNrLkS54[/video]

I have tried using a Surface Pro 2 and the stylus is always off centre and a problem for me in Lightroom.

demandarin

Well when artists feel like using max power, just disable connected standby. Then create a windows power profile for max performance.

Theoretically, sounds like a work around :)

tinycg

Hi all, I've pre-ordered an i5/128 in the UK primarily because of the upgraded pen technology. All this talk of N-trig vs Wacom worried me though. But there is a good. Video on YouTube of someone sketching using a Surface Pro 3 and it's really put my mind at ease... Surface Pro 3 : Pen writing and drawing demo
[video=youtube_share;VD_fNrLkS54]http://youtu.be/VD_fNrLkS54[/video]

I have tried using a Surface Pro 2 and the stylus is always off centre and a problem for me in Lightroom.

Interesting video... the thing I noticed even in Fresh Paint at the end which is using Ink vs Wintab... the palm rejection seems flawed if you look at all the stuff towards the end of his drawing that is under where his palm was, lots of little dots, streaks, etc. That's exactly what I was worried about, and I dont see that at all with the SP2.

gcoupe

Well when artists feel like using max power, just disable connected standby. Then create a windows power profile for max performance.

Theoretically, sounds like a work around :)
Well, on my ThinkPad Tablet 2, I can create a custom plan, but I still do not have access to CPU performance settings, only battery/display/power button settings. Of course, the TPT2 has an Atom CPU. It may be different for a Core i3/i5/i7 machine... Someone needs to test this?

OP
G

godson594

Again I am not an artist but the pen is extremely important to me for note taking and to mark up presentations. The parallax on the Surface Pro was extremely frustrating and distracting to me (especially being a left hander). It really seems this has all been corrected now....for me this is a big improvement over the Wacom digitizer.

Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Pen is the Best Tablet Stylus | Digital Trends

Thanks for the link, it sounds like accuracy is great but pressure sensitivity may be an issue...

Hmmm

tinycg

I just tried the SP3 at the Microsoft store. Pen is not bad, but definitely still not the same resolution as Wacom, so for someone like me who likes to write small, not really a step forward.

On the margins, tracking is better than Wacom but still has issues. Resolution is worse, and strokes often had a leading line at the beginning like the pen stroke jumped.

Fantastic device, but pen is not an improvement for my use case.

MickeyLittle

I just tried the SP3 at the Microsoft store. Pen is not bad, but definitely still not the same resolution as Wacom, so for someone like me who likes to write small, not really a step forward.

On the margins, tracking is better than Wacom but still has issues. Resolution is worse, and strokes often had a leading line at the beginning like the pen stroke jumped.

Fantastic device, but pen is not an improvement for my use case.

Keep in mine that this was/is a demo unit and we have read a lot of varying reports on the pen with these units. So it could be calibration, damaged stylus, or who knows. The real test will be on your personal S3. In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.