What's new

New Guy - Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2

Quielo

Just joined the forums. Bought a SP2 sometime ago and just received my S2/64 a couple of days ago. Bought the S2 from the online BB outlet used. Is there anyway to apply for the Onedrive or Skype credits?
Looking at getting a power cover to switch between team.

I have a work stinkpad but I like to have my own tablet when I travel as I do not like getting my personal mail and stuff on the company product. Originally used my SP2 but I think the S@ is lighter and with the battery keyboard should allow me to not carry a charger on short trips.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just joined the forums. Bought a SP2 sometime ago and just received my S2/64 a couple of days ago. Bought the S2 from the online BB outlet used. Is there anyway to apply for the Onedrive or Skype credits?
Looking at getting a power cover to switch between team.

I have a work stinkpad but I like to have my own tablet when I travel as I do not like getting my personal mail and stuff on the company product. Originally used my SP2 but I think the S@ is lighter and with the battery keyboard should allow me to not carry a charger on short trips.
You can get 100gb of OneDrive space for two years by simply signing up for Bing Rewards.
http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards-onedrive

Or Unlimited OneDrive space with Office 365.

Not sure about any Skype deals... but keep your eyes open one never knows what's just ahead.

OP
Q

Quielo

Thanks Greyfox, The S2 was supposed to come with unlimited Skype for a year. However I bought my from a cowboom auction so that ship has likely sailed. I have a number of issues to chase down and I have not searched on the forums for any of these so likely I will find them in due time:

Make the S2 available on the network. Looks from MSFT docs that the S2 will never be visible on my workgroup. I would like to dump files to it

Video file codes. Always and forever a need. Right now I am transcoding to MP4

Otherwise the power cover should make the S2 ideal for me.

kundas1

yes that's right you can join a homegroup and go on other computers but you cant go on your S2 from the other computers, that the only thing I don't like about that on my S2...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Greyfox, The S2 was supposed to come with unlimited Skype for a year. However I bought my from a cowboom auction so that ship has likely sailed. I have a number of issues to chase down and I have not searched on the forums for any of these so likely I will find them in due time:

Make the S2 available on the network. Looks from MSFT docs that the S2 will never be visible on my workgroup. I would like to dump files to it

Video file codes. Always and forever a need. Right now I am transcoding to MP4

Otherwise the power cover should make the S2 ideal for me.
Go ahead and register it with MS you never know but don't get your hopes up :)

OP
Q

Quielo

yes that's right you can join a homegroup and go on other computers but you cant go on your S2 from the other computers, that the only thing I don't like about that on my S2...
I see the S2 as a grab and go device and I would like to dump ppt amd other files on it from my workstation. I like being able to show preswntatioms either diertly or through projector. guess I wil' stick with the micro sd card method.

kundas1

yes or transfer via USB stick, but you can go into your desktop/laptop via the homegroup and transfer what you need to your SP2 over wifi, you just cant do it from the other way around... I found I could stream all my music/movies/documents from my desktop PC via the homegroup easily and was quit happy with that

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO USB would be easier than fiddling with the micro SD but if your going to copy something may as well copy it from the S2.

toaf

power cover is great, never tried it on just a plain surface, but it doubles the battery on my sp2.

OP
Q

Quielo

Many reviews say it works on the S2. With the already great battery life plus the power cover should be able to cover weekend trips with no charger. My first client visit with my surface2 is today. PowerPoint and jpegs.