What's new

New Surface Book - clean install?

snowboarder

Sorry guys for sounding stupid, I'm back to a Windows device after more than 2 decades,
so yes, I'm not up to speed.

I'm getting a new Surface Book, it will come with Windows 10 Pro + probably tons of cr@p.
I want a fresh clean install, avoid any additional apps and want to customize settings
to switch all the "phone home" stuff off.

Should I use PC Reset>FullyCleanTheDrive option in Settings?
Is it gonna give me options for customizing the setup?

Or should I make an USB key with ISO and go form there?

Any pointers to how to setup the simplest cleanest Win10 environment?
All I want is my Adobe CC. I guess I need some anti-virus stuff too?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. There won't be any crap to remove so a flash is a bit worthless.

I've never bothered with anything but Windows defender and periodic checks with "real" software does nothing but confirm that Defender is doing its job

daniielrp

I had a small nerdgasm upon getting my first surface Pro and opening the list of installed programs and finally precisely... 1... I think, it may have been none :D

CrippsCorner

One of the best things about modern computers! From Microsoft at least... damn those days of Packard Bell to [Packard] Hell :D

kc912

Any pointers to how to setup the simplest cleanest Win10 environment?
All I want is my Adobe CC. I guess I need some anti-virus stuff too?

With regards to setting up clean.

In my opinion you'll only need Anti Virus if you don't trust yourself not to do something stupid. If you're pretty web smart you'll be avoiding the ad's that say "QUICK DOWNLOAD TO FIX PC". Personally I run business stuff on my Surface so I run some pretty high end protection. If you're going to get any I recommend paying for a decent lightweight one that won't burden your RAM/CPU with pointless tasks. I use Advanced System Care too. There are others like CCleaner out there too. This sort of stuff makes disabling startup tasks and programs easy and clears out some of the crap left behind whilst browsing. I make no apologies for recommending ad blockers too. Unfortunately it doesn't help sites like this but that's the way the web is going. Ad's are getting more invasive and some are so subtle they look like content. Get rid of that shit. Ad block plus and Ghostery are two Firefox ad ons I use and I think they exist in Chrome too. As for Edge, you can block ads with Adguard but it isn't free.

daniielrp

One of the best things about modern computers! From Microsoft at least... damn those days of Packard Bell to [Packard] Hell :D
Don't worry Toshiba have taken their place. Last few I've seen have loads of crap - I counted on my last job with one and it had 26 different Toshiba bits, as well as some dvd software, trial of antivirus and other nonsense!

CrippsCorner

I've just looked though and you can get Signature Edition laptops from Toshiba if you go through the Microsoft Store... definitely the way to do it!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lenovo has done a pretty good job of layering in the warez too :( but yes there's the Microsoft Signature editions.

OP
S

snowboarder

cool, thanks guys! So no need to reinstall Win10, great.
I will look into the anti-virus stuff, you have to excuse the Mac guy
who's been brainwashed for decades about "viruses on Windows" ;)

leeshor

It not a virus that's the biggest worry, it's malware. If you don't open attachments and don't surf to whacked WEB sites you can be safe. I haven't had any malware at all on my primary system ever, only because I take proper precautions. Anything suspicious is opened in a VM.