What's new

OneDrive place holder alternative

Derekamoss

Came across this browsing the internet. It basically is just how to map your OneDrive folder as a network folder so its all online and not local. Here is the link to the YouTube video showing how its done. This might help people out till file place holders are hopefully put back on.

Came across this browsing the internet. It basically is just how to map your OneDrive folder as a network folder so its all online and not local. Here is the link to the YouTube video showing how its done. This might help people out till file place holders are hopefully put back on.

This is fantastic, I was just wondering about where that feature went today and didn't think to look into it. Thanks for posting!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Funny - I just posted a step by step (different but same ending), I did it yesterday due to one of my machines having limited space and I have a 700GB OneDrive....

OP
D

Derekamoss

Funny - I just posted a step by step (different but same ending), I did it yesterday due to one of my machines having limited space and I have a 700GB OneDrive....
Yeah just looked yours up. Pretty much the same thing. I'm just glad we have something to placate windows 10 OneDrive

Kris

Yep. Sure can. It's just like having a network drive at work or school.
Every time I reboot it requires me to re-enter my credentials, even when I tell it to remember them.

edit: Does it matter that I am trying to connect from laptop logged into a different outlook account?

Kris

Every time I reboot it requires me to re-enter my credentials, even when I tell it to remember them.

edit: Does it matter that I am trying to connect from laptop logged into a different outlook account?
Even on my SP3 that is logged in with the same credentials it won't auto connect to the mapped network drive. Still requires them to be entered to get to the drive.

kristalsoldier

While this is indeed a workaround, but it defeats the very purpose, doesn't it? I think I am going to hold off doing this till MS gets their act together on this OneDrive business. Odd how they did not put max efforts to get this working when they know (1) that quite a few Win devices have small on-board storage capacities and (2) that ubiquitous connectivity is still an illusion in large parts of the world!

why Microsoft got rid of the online storage feature only is beyond me. No matter what the reason, there is no way it outweighs the benefits of having the option of saving space and being able to quickly access your online files.

NeilG

why Microsoft got rid of the online storage feature only is beyond me. No matter what the reason, there is no way it outweighs the benefits of having the option of saving space and being able to quickly access your online files.

I agree, it seems a really backward step. Just read a review somewhere that claims that A) it confused some users and B) some applications didn't work well with it, Lightroom being mentioned specifically.

If true it's a pretty thin justification for removing such a useful function and it's to be hoped MS get enough noise from the Feedback app to reconsider.

Kris

Is there anyway for it not to require me to log into the network drive every time I reboot?