What's new

Only Getting 4hrs of Battery Life

leeshor

Some people are just techies at heart and can't stand NOT to tinker. The customers of mine with Surface Pros haven't tinkered, nor have I tinkered with their systems. If they had done something I would be the second to know, by phone. So far, not one complaint which is good since they purchased their tablets at my suggestion.

The variance in battery life is universal across the board. All it takes is a misbehaving app (or Chrome) to really drag down the battery life. I noticed the fan on my SP3 spinning frantically the other day along with the backside running warm. A quick check in task manager shown IE taking 30% CPU displaying google.com. After a reboot the word was right again and it hasn't happened since.

I would suggest carrying your power adapter with you and topping off the charge when you can. Maybe scope out your classes and find an outlet near a seat or possibly at the student lounge/union, etc. A few minutes here and there will add up, and you don't have to spend any additional money on a power cover. You might also try sleeping the machine when you don't really need to use it in class.

ctitanic

Some could interpret that as the machine controls you.
Agree, but I tried the "other way" and it did not work for me. And as you can see, I have full control of my Surface. There is very little that I don't know about it up to the point that I make my living thanks to that.

M

ManUnited

Agree, but I tried the "other way" and it did not work for me. And as you can see, I have full control of my Surface. There is very little that I don't know about it up to the point that I make my living thanks to that.

And that is what may ultimately separate us. I, too, make my living via my technology but only as it makes me more efficient (presentations, teaching, grading, course management, etc.). Having to worry about "full control" is not my intent. I need to have "full control" of the class and make the technology as seamless as possible.

ctitanic

And that is what may ultimately separate us. I, too, make my living via my technology but only as it makes me more efficient (presentations, teaching, grading, course management, etc.). Having to worry about "full control" is not my intent. I need to have "full control" of the class and make the technology as seamless as possible.
Once you achieve the grade of control required by you and your task your don't need to change anything. You are just on Control. Or do you think that I go around tweaking my device to make it work?;)

M

ManUnited

You're one of "those" people. :) Well then you should have your choice of mains to connect to.

Indeed, one of "those" people.

However, I do not wish to become of "those" people scrambling to sit next to outlets in the bevy of University and Department meetings I have on the agenda this semester. I was really hoping that the SP3 could carry me throughout the day with no charging required.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed, one of "those" people.

However, I do not wish to become of "those" people scrambling to sit next to outlets in the bevy of University and Department meetings I have on the agenda this semester. I was really hoping that the SP3 could carry me throughout the day with no charging required.
Any thoughts on my earlier questions... I might have some time to look at some of this later today.