What's new

Patch Tuesday Today

ArnoldC

Surface Pro users would love this (or hate it), I am updating my Windows 8 on the Acer S3, and of the 31 or so updates, mostly Microsoft Office, I saw something interesting- Hard Blocks and Soft Blocks. A Hard Block prevents a game, or an application from running if it is not compatible with Windows 8 causing instability. A Soft Block will warn a user of such case.

:D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Surface Pro users would love this (or hate it), I am updating my Windows 8 on the Acer S3, and of the 31 or so updates, mostly Microsoft Office, I saw something interesting- Hard Blocks and Soft Blocks. A Hard Block prevents a game, or an application from running if it is not compatible with Windows 8 causing instability. A Soft Block will warn a user of such case.

:D

You can also see this when running the Windows 8 upgrade wizard. It lets you know potential problems along these lines.

ArnoldC

I think it's the proper thing for Microsoft to do. Prevent those undisciplined code from running. :LOL:

borka105

IE is running significantly faster for me... especially when it comes to opening and closing open tabs... there used to be a good lag, but it is now gone. Will see what else I notice..so far so good though.

ZachBui

KB2760224 - Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Office 2013 and Office Home and Student 2013 RT.

KB2752025
- Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Office 2013 and Office Home and Student 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.
Issue that this update fixes

Consider the following scenario:
You create a team site that has a URL that contains Hebrew characters on a Microsoft SharePoint server.
You create a file in Microsoft Visio 2013 and then click Save As to save the project.
You paste the URL of the team site into the address bar in the Save As dialog box.
You try to save the file as a shared document.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:

You can’t save here. Please choose another location

KB2767845
- Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and the 64-bit editions of Office 2013 and Office Home and Student 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.

KB2760318
- Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Office 2013 and Office Home and Student 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.
Issues that this update fixes

When SkyDrive Pro 2013 encounters an error and closes, you are not notified before SkyDrive Pro closes, and you do not receive an error message.

KB2760339
- Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Excel 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Excel 2013. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.

Assume that a cell in Excel 2013 contains some text. When you edit the text in the cell, or when you edit the text by using the formula bar, other programs cannot access the text.

KB2808380
- Assume that a Windows RT-based computer enters the "connected standby" state while the computer downloads new Windows updates by using the automatic update feature. In this situation, the connection between Windows Update and the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) component on the computer is lost. Therefore, the Windows Update service freezes.

Note
When this issue occurs, you cannot download Windows Store Applications or related updates.
This issue occurs after the computer enters the "Resiliency" phase of the "connected standby" state. During the "Resiliency" phase, Windows performs session 0 throttling.

KB2737968
- Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft OneNote 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of OneNote 2013. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.

You have a OneNote notebook on a Microsoft SharePoint server.
You try to insert two or more files into a page in the notebook at the same time.
The total size of the files exceeds 8 MB.
In this scenario, you receive an "incomplete sync" error, and the files are not inserted into the notebook.
Assume that you upload files to a section of a OneNote notebook, and the upload involves multiple round trips. Then, a user changes some text in the same section of the notebook. After you synchronize the notebook, the change is not displayed in the notebook, or only part of the change is displayed.
Assume that two users (user A and user B) create a new section in a OneNote notebook at the same time. When user B synchronizes the notebook after user A synchronizes the notebook, user B receives the following error message:
Hang on while this page syncs... We're waiting for another device to finish uploading your notes
The translation of "Type" in the Finnish version of OneNote 2013 is incorrect.

Note The word "Type" is located in the Tools group on the DRAW tab.

KB2760244 - Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Word 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Word 2013.

When you use a program to read a long email message in Microsoft Outlook 2013, the program stops reading the text unexpectedly.

KB2767861
- Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and the 64-bit editions of Office 2013 and Office Home and Student 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.

KB2737954

When SkyDrive Pro 2013 encounters an error and closes, you are not notified before SkyDrive Pro closes, and you do not receive an error message.
You synchronize a folder on a computer with a library in the Japanese version of Microsoft SkyDrive Pro 2013.
You close SkyDrive Pro.
You delete the local folder of the library on the computer.
You restart SkyDrive Pro.
In this scenario, SkyDrive Pro detects that the folder is missing and crashes.

KB2726954

You have a notebook on a Microsoft SharePoint server.
You insert two or more files onto a page of the notebook at the same time.
The total size of the files exceeds 8 megabytes (MB).
In this scenario, you receive an incomplete sync error, and the files are not uploaded.
;
You perform a multi-roundtrip upload in an OneNote section.
Another user changes some text in the same section of the notebook.
You synchronize the notebook.
In this scenario, you cannot see the changes to the notebook, or you can only see part of the changes to the notebook

KB2767864

KB2726996

Assume that an email message uses styles that use media selectors in Microsoft Outlook 2013. When you send the email message to a Hotmail email address, the email message is not displayed in the recipient's Inbox in Hotmail.
You synchronize a folder on a computer with a library in the Japanese version of Microsoft SkyDrive Pro 2013.
You close SkyDrive Pro.
You delete the local folder of the library on the computer.
You restart SkyDrive Pro.
In this scenario, SkyDrive Pro detects that the folder is missing and crashes

KB2767852 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2767852

KB2792100 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2792100
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: February 12, 2013

KB2797052 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2797052
Vulnerability in vector markup language could allow remote code execution: February 12, 2013

KB2778344 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2778344
Vulnerabilities in Windows kernel-mode driver could allow elevation of privilege: February 12, 2013

KB2790655 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2790655
Vulnerability in TCP/IP could allow denial of service: February 12, 2013

KB2799494 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2799494
Vulnerabilities in Windows kernel could allow elevation of privilege: February 12, 2013

KB2805940 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2805940
Update for Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 10

KB2795944 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795944

Last edited:

Corrosive

I didn't read through the pages but I noticed that my "custom whitelist" for flash enabled sites was reset... just throwing that out there. Maybe internet explorer was updated too?

FFX

I just received a system hardware update 12/02/2013 is all it says. I just bought a type-cover and connected it, so the update might have been for the type-cover.