Picked one up today

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by raqball, Aug 17, 2014.

1. raqball

raqball Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Picked up a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 this morning from Best Buy. So far I am really liking it. This is my 1st Windows 8 experience and I am a bit surprised how much I like it. Previously I've avoided Windows 8 because I didn't think I'd like it.

The main use for me will be as a Tablet with the added benefit of it also being a powerful PC when needed. I recently sold my MacBook Pro Retina and I tired a Samsung Tab Pro 12.1 before buying the Surface Pro 3.

Windows 8 is not as bad as I thought it would be and it's actually pretty nice in my opinion. I really like the Surface Pro 3 build quality and the screen is gorgeous. I am also really liking the pen that was included. I have not yet purchased the keyboard and I'm not sure if I will as like I said, its main purpose for me will be as a tablet.

ipaq_101, ctitanic, fonzman78 and 4 others like this.
  2. dleuen

dleuen Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Congrats on your SP3! This forum is a great resource for you. I agree, with an open mind Windows 8 is not too bad but as you use it more I'm sure you'll discover the things that are still totally messed up. Surface Pro really is a nice device though.

raqball likes this.
  3. revmike

revmike Active Member

I tried to avoid windows 8 like the plague, but after my 12 year old desktop died I had no choice. Ever since then I liked it. When the surface pro came out before my desktop gave up the ghost I wanted one, but not with windows 8. I even investigated the possibility of putting windows 7 on it.

raqball likes this.
  4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Administrator Staff Member

Congrats and welcome to the Forum.

raqball likes this.
  5. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Welcome to the forum!

I also avoided Win 8 before I got my SP3. And I'm not saying I'm "in love" with Win 8 or anything, but now I totally "get" how it is so perfect on a touch device.

Anyways, ask lots of questions! :cool:

raqball likes this.
  6. mseck99

mseck99 Member

Welcome my friend!

I went from wanting only the tablet too. i ended up buying the keyboard and docking station... Now, Its my tablet/desktop/laptop.

raqball likes this.
  7. alex2020

alex2020 New Member

How do you like the transition from ios to windows? Was it easy for you?

8. Kif

Kif Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Welcome aboard! I think there's lots to like.

raqball likes this.
  9. raqball

raqball Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    The transition was a little easier for me as there is a Windows 7 desktop in my sons room that I maintain and use every so often. My last full time use of Windows was on XP.

I am still fumbling around with Windows 8 but so far its been a fairly painless transition.

I do have a few questions though for those who may know.

1. Can I show battery percentage on the Metro screen.
    2. Do I need full fledged virus protection. I am using what it came with for now which I believe is Windows Defender. I don't visit adult sites and am pretty cautious when browsing. I never click links in email that I am unsure about.
    3. The pop up keyboard is a bit finicky. Sometimes it won't pop up after tapping in a text box. Is there a solution to force it to show in these instances.

Thanks for the welcome all.

10. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Analysts, sock puppets, and Internet Trolls have created a lot of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt about Windows 8 which people are starting to find out isn't nearly as bad as its been made out to be.

raqball and ipaq_101 like this.
  11. sleith001

sleith001 Member

The truth is Windows 8 is remarkable improvement over Windows 7. Just like Windows Vista is huge improvement over XP (5 years of work!). Simple fact: Windows 8 = Windows 7 (improved) - startbutton + Metro interface + Apps. If someone has problem with missing start button, then get one.

It's remarkable the entire Tech media lies about the some obvious facts. Amazing that when everybody lies, it's becoming a standard. I certainly underestimated the power of the icrap holding crowd in the tech media. What you expect when a tech writer say, "I am a icrap user, now I am reviewing a Windows product".

I just hope people use their judgement, not to listen to what the crappy Microsoft hatters say.

fonzman78 likes this.
  12. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

I installed windows 8 about a month ago for no other reason than I'll have to beat used to it if I want an sp3. As a completely casual user, the only improvement for me over windows 7 is a faster boot. Other than that it takes many steps back which I then have to go out of my way to try and bypass, which often then create their own issues.